Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bogging after timing
Long story short I went to renew the smog test on my 95 4dr Kick and the timing isn't right, won't pull 2nd on the dyno. So I get it home and tear into it. Turns out the timing is way off. I pull the plugs, stick my compression gage in, find TDC, pull the front cover off and discover the cam and crank are good but the dist is way off. I point it at #1 on the dist and button everything up and start it. Wow I have a timing mark now ! but it won't run right. No RPM and it boggs everytime I hit the throttle. It will idle but only around 300+ RPM.
Any ideas ?

Ed in Calif.
95 8valve or 16v most 4door are 16v in usa,
if the spark timing is found way off, with freeze jumper inserted, then the cam belt slipped (for sure, assuming others not playing with dizzy base clamp nut (distrib)

so , did you check for?
crank key damage , with crank cog off. (remove the 17mm bolt , oops it's loose? not at 94 ft/lbs. oops.... if oops the key will be destroyed. or worse... this is what i call a day1 check.....
then cam cog, not using eithe r"I" marks, (16v answer) 8v has it's own false marks.. the "I" key is wrong as is using the I spoke to time cam.

the cam must be timed right, of the distributor timing will be hopeless effort. truly..... wasted.....
using china rotor, that fits on 3 ways is 2 times hopeless. that...
on some rare distrib. the prev. owner put the bottom gear on wrong.... id not wish that on anyone....
the ECU does all spark advancing in pure software.... 91 to present.

getting the freeze to even work , is another problem child... (idle switch and 180F temps and idle not racing for other fails)
the timing normally bounces at idle, do not let that worry you,,,, the freeze must work to set static dizzy time..
http://www.fixkick.com