Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sidekick 4speed Automatic 03-72LE // Venting ATF // Capacity Question
(05-09-2015, 01:39 AM)fixkick Wrote: normal is engine temp ,180f, via the radiator transmission cooler/.heater at bottom of RAD
and up to 250F, Under huge stress. (up hill pulling a trailer of bricks/) The upper limit is the limit of Dexron VI.
the clutch TC makes a ton of heat when you are not in TCC lockup and it slips.
that slip makes heat in the AFT.
and will get hot. It wont be below 180F ever. as the engine does heat up the trans, 2 ways. (3 counting HP inputs)

think of the TC as heater generator and this becomes clear.
if the TC heat exceeds the engine radiators ability to cool it , the trans, temp will rise.
the engine is only 95HP. so you are limited in the ability to make too much heat there at the transmission input shaft.

trans heat will about 200F. par value.
if it rises too much look at engine heat, is it ok?
if its ok then the transmission is making too much heat or the trans cooler is dead.

with a good RAD, (not blocked inside or outside) the car can pull 1000 lbs without overloading the system and for sure never 10,000 lbs.

192 is nothing, very normal.
Thanks for the great information.

My engine temp was normal on my hill pull. I did not notice any real change on it. Pulling the hill the TC was not locked up so I would agree that was probably were most of my heat was coming from. I was thinking I might install a temporary heat prob from my multi-meter on the trany pan and drive for a bit to get a better indication on my rang to determine if I will add another cooler but at this point I am not to concerned about it. With the right fluid level everything has been working good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sidekick 4speed Automatic 03-72LE // Venting ATF // Capacity Question - by allan y - 05-09-2015, 04:37 AM