Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1992 Tracker-Hit pothole car stalled and won't start
First the car:

1992 GEO Tracker, 4x4, 2D, manual, TBI, 8v

The car has been running fine, starts every time, very clean engine with minimal to no leaks. Last week, while driving, my son hit a pothole on the on the right side, then the car stopped running (stalled out). It has not been able to be started since. I checked the following:

1. Spark to all spark plugs and all wires connected. (acceptable)
2. Fuel pump fuse operational. (acceptable)
3. Fuel pump relay, operational by resistivity and swapping in a known working relay. (acceptable).
4. Fuel return from fuel pressure regulator to gas tank, no fuel returns to the gas tank. (??)
5. All sensor wires connected (acceptable).
6. "Pink" ground wire behind left right tail light is grounded (acceptable).
7. No intact obstructions to the air intact (acceptable).

I am checking the basics to get an engine running, fuel, spark, and air. Since spark and air seem to be fine, I was focused on fuel.

If the impact was substantial, is there a rollover switch or reply that needs to be reset? I can't seem to find any mention of a switch, but my 1991 Ford Explorer had a reset button under the glove compartment for fuel cutoff that could be trigger upon an impact.

Is there a simple method to check fuel pump functionality without removing the fuel pump from the gas tank?

I'm still troubleshooting, but any helpful guidance would be appreciated.
(01-19-2015, 02:36 AM)ddbernier Wrote: First the car:

1992 GEO Tracker, 4x4, 2D, manual, TBI, 8v

The car has been running fine, starts every time, very clean engine with minimal to no leaks. Last week, while driving, my son hit a pothole on the on the right side, then the car stopped running (stalled out). It has not been able to be started since. I checked the following:
DOA !

is that right fender fuse box, rusty on the bottom, like man are? from road salt.s.

1. Spark to all spark plugs and all wires connected. (acceptable) timing?
2. Fuel pump fuse operational. (acceptable)
3. Fuel pump relay, operational by resistivity and swapping in a known working relay. (acceptable).
4. Fuel return from fuel pressure regulator to gas tank, no fuel returns to the gas tank. (??) the pump is dead, for sure,, my guess elecrical
5. All sensor wires connected (acceptable).
6. "Pink" ground wire behind left right tail light is grounded (acceptable).
7. No intact obstructions to the air intact (acceptable).

I am checking the basics to get an engine running, fuel, spark, and air. Since spark and air seem to be fine, I was focused on fuel.

If the impact was substantial, is there a rollover switch [b]NO[/b] or relay(NO) that needs to be reset? I can't seem to find any mention of a switch, but my 1991 Ford Explorer had a reset button under the glove compartment for fuel cutoff that could be trigger upon an impact.
this is no FORD, at all. and not like inertial parts,
Is there a simple method to check fuel pump functionality without removing the fuel pump from the gas tank? sure.

I'm still troubleshooting, but any helpful guidance would be appreciated.

i bet it runs on test fuel, for 3seconds each spray, do that and be shocked gee it runs perfect , i lost fueling in 1 min tests.

pink wire at left tail light housing
must have 12vdc key on for 3seconds,each key on and hear it spin, buzzzzzzzzz each time. and cranking and running but is not running.
theN the ground wire at 3pm in tail light left, rear wall, not rusted. very common
then the connector at bumper, not rusty , center of bumper (fuel pump feed)
then the connector on top of pump (tank)same. no rust

my pump page covers and shows all photos of this. extensive,
DO smack side of gas tank to wake up bad pump.
wrong gas cap
, missing vacuum breaker , tank pulls hard vacuum and stalls pump, loosen cap and crank. (pump buzzes but no pressure)

http://www.fixkick.com/INJECTORS/PUMP/dead-pump.html

see harness graphic above, see all pump connecter, 12vdc on all. hot to ground wire, end to end.

this page is for , I KNOW PUMP IS DEAD,BUT WHY,? lots of ways,, the return line dead proves pump is zero output but so many ways.

the left tail light is the 1st stop of pump will not buzz
HAPPY TRAILS.
http://www.fixkick.com
I can't check the timing since it is not running, however the timing was doing fine about a month ago.

The car starts with a little test fuel, confirming the spark is fine. Smacking the side of the gas tank did not engage the fuel pump.

The power distribution from the fuel pump relay is fine, so the relay is working. The pink wire behind the rear left tail light receives power when cranking and the ground wire, G402, is fine (no rust, good ground). When the key is turned on, I can hear a faint clicking sound with the gas cap removed. The gas cap is correct with the vacuum break.

I disconnected the fuel line to the engine and routed the fuel line to a separate container. When cranking, no fuel comes out of the line. I verified the fuel line from the fuel filter to the front of the engine is not kinked or damaged. The fuel filter looks old, so I replaced it while working on the fuel line. I checked the fuel pump again with the new fuel filter, no fuel came out of the line.

My next step will be to drop the gas tank so I can remove the fuel pump, but I am waiting for a warmer day.

Thanks for the troubleshooting suggestions.
sorry pump is bad, or that connect up top, but only accessable tank out or as one guy here did he tripped tank down in front, straps loose.
sometimes, the connector just fails on top
you cant hear pump
no use removing gas cap to let air in, if the pump is silent

funny how a pump would just give up ghost on bump, maybe the top hose cracked wide open'? inside tank.
Since I was on a roll on the 1994 tracker (see other post) I thought I'd give this one another try.

I really do not want to drop the gas tank and replace the pump, so I am rechecking all the electrical wires and connections, it is a 23 year old car and I think the pothole knocked something loose. Upon the first look under the rear drivers side wheel well, I giggled the connector going to the fuel pump and the wire came out of the connector, green and corroded. I soldered on new wires to the connector and it started right up.
yes they all do this , this old, for sure on salted roads./
im glad you found the true cause saving money and lots of hard work !
and no gas bath.