Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suzuki X-90 blowing headlights?
Hey all,

Quick question:

I have a Suzuki x-90, automatic, 16v 1.6, 1996. Runs like a top.

Hopped in last night, turned on the headlights, they lit for a minute, dimmed out just a bit, then poof. First one than the other within a second or two. Pull the high beams, they lit up, then boom, the same thing.

Got home today, pulled the lights, put in an old set, put in the lights, same thing. Blew em both.

None of the other lights have blown, so is an overcharge from the alternator possible??? (Haven't checked yet).

There was no water or the like built up, it popped both headlights, not one, and I am not sure where to go from here.

Any suggestions?
welcome and happy holidays !!!
the rare x90 , love em.
you just saw the alternators internal regulator go nuts.
its bad, or the ground to the alternator is bad, or to battery.

keep the lights, (new) in the box
use a volt meter. connect across battery start car, 13.3 to 15vdc max.
make sure the battery cables ends are clean.
that means the top starter ground cable !!!
the alternator gets its ground via a long path,

i suspect the regulator.
first off ,it is supposed to shut down if the cables get bad, or grounds, and fails for overvoltage 2.,so in my book its bad 2 ways.
who knows what is there now, after all these years.?

I had a car that blew all lights in the car out in 1sec.flat, moving FAST at 1AM.

the alternator (new and spec) has many jobs. not just charge battery.
1: NOT BLOW UP LAMPS OR ECU, OR TCM OR RADIO.
2: NOT BURN THE BATTERY UP. current limits.
3: not overcharge. or blow the battery up, (50amp full tilt or more)
4: not allow overvoltages.
5: and sense the batteries state of charge and keep it at float levels. 13.3v is float.
6: boot straps its self at dead start. (IT takes current to make it come on line)
http://www.fixkick.com
(12-18-2014, 11:37 PM)fixkick Wrote: welcome and happy holidays !!!
the rare x90 , love em.
you just saw the alternators internal regulator go nuts.
its bad, or the ground to the alternator is bad, or to battery.

keep the lights, (new) in the box
use a volt meter. connect across battery start car, 13.3 to 15vdc max.
make sure the battery cables ends are clean.
that means the top starter ground cable !!!
the alternator gets its ground via a long path,

i suspect the regulator.
first off ,it is supposed to shut down if the cables get bad, or grounds, and fails for overvoltage 2.,so in my book its bad 2 ways.
who knows what is there now, after all these years.?

I had a car that blew all lights in the car out in 1sec.flat, moving FAST at 1AM.

the alternator (new and spec) has many jobs. not just charge battery.
1: NOT BLOW UP LAMPS OR ECU, OR TCM OR RADIO.
2: NOT BURN THE BATTERY UP. current limits.
3: not overcharge. or blow the battery up, (50amp full tilt or more)
4: not allow overvoltages.
5: and sense the batteries state of charge and keep it at float levels. 13.3v is float.
6: boot straps its self at dead start. (IT takes current to make it come on line)

Happy Holidays!

It is definitely the regulator. I was surprised that it didn't smoke any of the other lights. It's pushing 16.8v at the moment. That dome light is like day light with 16.8v Big Grin

I'll have to climb under there and pull the alternator at some point and replace it. Gotta replace the headlights too. I had really nice headlights, nice and bright. Oh well, time to replace them to the tune of $40 a piece. Damn! Tongue

I have a Suzuki Sidekick with 197K on it, never a problem with the alternator. It's still original. Only replaced the starter a couple of times in that 197K. This alternator in the sidekick only got 92K out of it. Oh well, never can tell.
any higher and you can run Aircraft Avionics at 24vdc ! LOL

sorry for you loss, 4 head lamps, toasted

happy trails
and merry Christmas !
http://www.fixkick.com
(12-23-2014, 11:01 AM)fixkick Wrote: any higher and you can run Aircraft Avionics at 24vdc ! LOL

sorry for you loss, 4 head lamps, toasted

happy trails
and merry Christmas !

Happens, oh well. I am actually thinking of upgrading to the CS130 alternator with the bracket and adapter. The 105-amps is much nicer than the stock 55-amp, not that I need it right now to be honest (not running a winch, or super stereo or anything) but while I'm at it I might as well do the upgrade.

Question: Since I now have the choice of any headlights, what do you recommend? I want as bright as possible with the greatest possible visibility and throw. Obviously I have to worry about what the wiring can handle as I don't intend to re-wire for beefier headlights.