Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1994 Tracker won't start after checking compression
(11-23-2014, 11:45 AM)ddbernier Wrote: I waited for the weather to get warmer and continued working on the Tracker.

I went out and tried to start it again, it started and seemed to run fine, however I still wanted to check the timing belt and replace the drive belts while I was working on the car.

Once I got the timing belt cover off there was a slight tear in the belt, but the cam and crank were aligned when #4 was TDC. I replaced the timing belt (Gates brand) and tensioner following the guide at www.fixkick.com
and reassembled the car.
I was going to replace the distributor cap and rotor, but the parts place gave me the wrong parts.
sure they cant tell 8v or 16v, none can. (your car is a vin code U, that means 8v)

The car started.
I let it warm up, but was not able to set the timing following the guide at . Any ideas?

the correct URL (there are links in the page showing all details and are not in my paste below.
http://www.fixkick.com/IGN_timing/8v-procedure.html

8v.
pasted from above page.

Fast, fine adjustment list:
1: A Hot motor (180f degr. minimum) running at idle.
2: Connect Strobe timing light to #1 spark lead
3: Idle at 800 RPM (if not set it now) (TB idle bleed screw)
4: Set the Freeze jumper. (a paper clip) conn. just in front of the battery.
At, Jumper D to C to freeze timing.
Check timing?, now, at 800 RPM idle.
5: Point that Strobe light at the timing scale and see it at, or adjust it to, 8 Degree's Before TDC (left side of zero scale mark) (see your hood sticker or exact timing)
if just tad off (1deg?) then adjust distributor base, if way off ? then the timing belt has slipped, if true, do not touch the distributor yet, fix belt first..
The 60k tune up is the avoidance of belt slips.

If way off?. do the Tbelt sneak-a-peek check.

at what step did it go astray?

the strobe must flash.
it must land on the timing scale.
and it must freeze, if it fails to freeze , but jumps around, let me know.

the ECU will not freeze spark timing for many reasons. ( one is TPS idle switch set wrong)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1994 Tracker won't start after checking compression - by fixkick - 11-23-2014, 09:47 PM