Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Tranny Repair....
I would like to get thoughts on a tranny repair. If I pull it to fix a second gear synchro issue...should I....

1. Replace the entire tranny with a different one? (easier?)
2. Just replace the synchro for second gear?
3. Buy a rebuild kit and repair all snchro's while it's out?

thanks,
John
95 Geo Tracker, Build Date 1/95,16v, Fed, Cami, 4x4, MT, Headed for Grenada.
2nd gear
did you try different lubes ????

many times its just lube.
case in point
i drive to store (auto)
i remove all jugs of lube off the shelf, and every one now 2014, state, not of Syncrhomesh trans. every one. (its of only axles)
the lube makers , are getting better at this. now.. thank gosh. "truth is much better now"

get some real GL4, that the MFG clearly states for usage in synchronize boxes.

if the label states good for MT1, that is NO GOOD, (that is for a 1950 school bus with a crash box , no synchro's at all)

Suzuki tuned those synchro's to use real GL4. (btw 2nd it the first to fail in most boxes, due to city driving.)
the issue is that most stores, in my town, 20 or more. have zero GL4 in stock they can care less about our M/T boxes.
everyone in usa drives a A/t box. unlike, in say Europe.

if my 2nd gear, was bad, it do step3
but im never in a hurry, time , money and down time are all personal decisions.
a DD Car, a ranch and stump puller, a week end off road machine all have needs.?

when young id double clutch a bad box for a year. until a nice summer day and the box was out.
but we were never in a hurry then, and drove slower, way slower. and lots of cheap used cars, then,. unlike now. (simple cars dont fail and when do 10x easier to fix)
http://www.fixkick.com