Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repair Fan Clutch
thanks for the photo's , internal photos are very rare, for such parts. (low end cost)
this may be the wrong clutch, it may just be an old used toyota/Nissan or other clutch.
Our clutch has a part in side that opens at high RPM.
the above looks like a thermal only clutch.
http://www.fixkick.com
I was looking through the threads searching for info on the fan clutch. I was looking to see if there is some way to test my fan clutch with it removed from the vehicle to know that it is working properly.

The service manual says only to check it for leaks (mine has no apparent leaks). Then I saw the above comment that the one previously pictured in this thread "looks like a thermal only clutch". That made me wonder about the types of fan clutches available.

On Rock Auto they are all called thermal clutches. In the information about some of the clutches they indicate that the life expectancy of the fan clutch is the same as that of the water pump and should be replaced at the same time.

So now I am considering purchasing a new fan clutch just because I have replaced the water pump, but they are a little pricey and mine looks fine. How do I know if it is the correct thermal clutch with the part inside that opens at high RPM?

Do you know a way to test mine to see if it is working right? At room temperature the clutch spins with very little resistance on the shaft. If I heat up the spring in the front with the torch a little then should the clutch lock up to the shaft? Or does it have to be spinning quickly to test it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1995 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4WD 4-door hardtop, G16 1.6L 16 valve L4 SOHC, 4-spd Auto Trans (Asin AW Model 03-72 LE), Non-ABS, Assembled in Ingersoil, Ontario. Currently in Tok, AK.
http://www.fixkick.com/overheating.html#clutch

the real SM cover this
its a bit strange, how it works,
its not a thermal switch like some.

tricky it is.
Thanks. The page you linked to explained almost everything I wanted to know AND some other stuff. Don't know how I missed that page when I was searching your site.

One more thing: Am I understanding this (below) correctly?

With a cold engine not running the fan clutch is suppose to slip so that I can reach in and turn the fan without turning the pulley or anything else. When the engine approaches 800 RPM then the fan clutch engages the fan to the pulley so that the fan stops slipping and spins at the same RPM as the engine.

The clutch will prevent the fan from exceeding 3100 RPM regardless of temperature. If the air temperature on the fan clutch is cool (like driving in -30 F) then the fan clutch will disengage letting the fan slip free of the shaft when the engine speed is over 800 RPM, but when I pull up to a stop sign and the engine RPM slows to about 800 RPM then the fan clutch will reengage and start spinning the fan fast until the engine RPM is increased again.
1995 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4WD 4-door hardtop, G16 1.6L 16 valve L4 SOHC, 4-spd Auto Trans (Asin AW Model 03-72 LE), Non-ABS, Assembled in Ingersoil, Ontario. Currently in Tok, AK.
(03-22-2017, 02:54 AM)Nunapitchuk Wrote: Thanks. The page you linked to explained almost everything I wanted to know AND some other stuff. Don't know how I missed that page when I was searching your site.

One more thing: Am I understanding this (below) correctly?

With a cold engine not running the fan clutch is suppose to slip so that I can reach in and turn the fan without turning the pulley or anything else. When the engine approaches 800 RPM then the fan clutch engages the fan to the pulley so that the fan stops slipping and spins at the same RPM as the engine.

The clutch will prevent the fan from exceeding 3100 RPM regardless of temperature. If the air temperature on the fan clutch is cool (like driving in -30 F) then the fan clutch will disengage letting the fan slip free of the shaft when the engine speed is over 800 RPM, but when I pull up to a stop sign and the engine RPM slows to about 800 RPM then the fan clutch will reengage and start spinning the fan fast until the engine RPM is increased again.

yes rule 1 is regardless of temp
this is suzuki docs
rule too is the tricky one, it slips above 800, cold, but will be below 800 rpm but slips, it will.
until hot, then is locked until max RPM is hit and then slips again, above 4000, limits to 3100, so the plastic fan does not fly to bits (explode, etc)

http://www.fixkick.com/Cooling-engine/fan-test.JPG