Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel mileage goes from 27 to 28.5 after service...
Just drove the car back to Florida. 15 1/2 hours. It ran good other than the tad bit of rough idle which I haven't solved. I think it's egr or iac circuit or carbon deposits from EGR port cleaning jamming the valves. Or, could be a cracked hose somewhere I am just not seeing. I've given up for now trying to solve it. Car idled fine after getting it back together. It was only after a test drive that the IDLE went wonky on me. Only things that would have changed is EGR opening properly and maybe carbon deposits may have gotten into the valves?

I ran at 3500 rpm most of the way which gave me about 70mph. At 100% highway, I was getting a fantastic 29 mph. It dropped to 27 when I turned on the AC in Georgia. It was hot!

Here are all the things I did to it before I left in the past month. It's been a learning experience and I appreciate your advice/help/patience fixkick! ...

1. Lashed valves and new gasket.
2. New gates timing belt
3. New dizzy cap and Rotor
4. New walker ss exhaust
5. New denzo fuel pump
6. New fuel sending unit.
7. New brake calipers.
8. New forward fuel tank bar.
9. Cleaned throttle body.
10. Cleaned EGR system.
11. New plug wires and plugs.
12. Cleaned air filter.
13. Undercoating on frame and underbody.
14. Tranny, crankcase and transfer housing oil replaced.
15. New fill plug on diff to replace stripped plug.
16. Bled the cooling system.
17. Installed battery disconnect switch.
18. Installed Curt hitch.
19. New PCV valve and gasket.
20. New water pump.
21. New wiper blades
22. Set engine timing.
23. New clutch cable.
24. New shift mechanism plastic parts.
25. New thermostat.
26. New 02 sensor.
27. New spare tire.
28. New fuel filter.
29. Oil Change and oil Filter
30 Adjusted emergency brake to 7 clicks per FSM.
31. Used POR-15 on rear bumper.

I feel pretty good about everything and car runs very good except for the idle. It's just a tad rough. Clutch will need replaced soon and engine overhauled. But, I'm putting these off until I get a shop setup. I know I don't have a vacuum leak on any of the hoses. I'm hoping some of the carbon from the EGR port cleaning did not fall down and jam a valve. I stuck a rag in there, but some may have bypassed the rag and fell down.

John
95 Geo Tracker, Build Date 1/95,16v, Fed, Cami, 4x4, MT, Headed for Grenada.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fuel mileage goes from 27 to 28.5 after service... - by cosmic_splatter - 09-12-2014, 11:17 AM