Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRNDL-switch how to release electrical connector
I'm trying to fix the reverse lights on my 1992 sidekick. I removed the switch from the side of the 1992 4 spd automatic but the wiring harness is still connected. Is there a close up photo of how to disconnect the harness? I can't see a tab or anyway to release the connector.
1992 Sidekick, 4 door, 4-spd automatic, 1.6 L, 16 V, MPI
all connectors have locks.
and varies by devices. some are push (most) push lever, others are pull, only close examination shows which it is.

you could be the first. post a photo of yours, in the Gallery.
and we can see it. and say where to push.

many switches have been dismantled and cleaned and re-silcone greased, and now work.
depends on who made the PRNDL switch, suzuki buys them from many makers, Denso / Mitsubishi? and others.
http://www.fixkick.com
It's the same connector as shown on the first photo in your 4 speed transmission photo tour.
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/slush/slid...index.html
The connector harness is too short to allow access to get a photo. Could I possibly pull it out over the transmission to get to the connector that way? Where does the other end of the harness go?

(09-04-2014, 09:09 PM)fixkick Wrote: all connectors have locks.
and varies by devices. some are push (most) push lever, others are pull, only close examination shows which it is.

you could be the first. post a photo of yours, in the Gallery.
and we can see it. and say where to push.

many switches have been dismantled and cleaned and re-silcone greased, and now work.
depends on who made the PRNDL switch, suzuki buys them from many makers, Denso / Mitsubishi? and others.
Finally had to tear apart my PRNDL Neutral-Safety switch. It was getting to the point that it wouldn't start no matter how much I wiggled the shifter around. Bought a ratcheting screwdriver to reach up too where the switch was dangling from the harness. MUCH better now. I even have reverse lights!

Another picture.

The wiper arm. The two contacts have little springs that are only held in place by silicone grease.

Hard to reach this within the narrow confines between the transmission hump and the transmission and the transmission lines.

This last is the view of the top of the transmission though the shifter mount opening. There's a bolt and bracket that hold the PRNDL harness on the top. I couldn't reach it by myself.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-21-2016, 09:40 PM)Azplinker Wrote: Finally had to tear apart my PRNDL Neutral-Safety switch. It was getting to the point that it wouldn't start no matter how much I wiggled the shifter around. Bought a ratcheting screwdriver to reach up too where the switch was dangling from the harness. MUCH better now. I even have reverse lights!

Another picture.

The wiper arm. The two contacts have little springs that are only held in place by silicone grease.

Hard to reach this within the narrow confines between the transmission hump and the transmission and the transmission lines.

This last is the view of the top of the transmission though the shifter mount opening. There's a bolt and bracket that hold the PRNDL harness on the top. I couldn't reach it by myself.

really nice work there, and for showing a very expensive switch can be refurbished, i saw corrosion there too.
one nice contribution, that will help others.!!!
http://www.fixkick.com