Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PITA tranny filter
So I decided to change the filter and fluid in my 95 SK JLX 4 spd.
Can't be hard right? 170K mileage, gotta need it.

So I get it up in the air and pull drain plug to let it drain overnight.
This seemed easy.

Next AM, I realize the bolts are not exactly easy to get to. Front driveshaft and exhaust are blocking access.
Maybe a little harder.

So using a universal I manage to get to all the bolts except one, which is being blocked by a cooling pipe.
Screw around with that and finally get the pipe off to be drenched in tranny fluid.
Ok, now I'm concerned.

Get last bolt out to discover that pan won't come off because Front driveshaft is blocking removal.
Cussing a bit now, approaching noon.

Discover driveshaft bolts are frozen and won't come off.
Getting POd a bit now 1:30

Got all bolts cut off with angle grinder, dropped shaft.
Pan comes off, drenched in tranny fluid again.

Finally see filter. Clean as a whistle, magnets clean.
Entire effort wasted.
God, give me the fortitude to finish this hellish job. Now 2:30

Get bolts out of filter (You didn't actually think I wasn't going to change it did you?) Got drenched in tranny fluid for the third time.
Neighbors complain to wife about cussing coming from shop.

Gasket for filter is permanently welded to Tranny case and it takes nearly an hour to scrape it off.
Tranny fluid dripping on my glasses, Cant't see - More cussing.

Get new filter on, rubber gasket for pan is perfect and captures bolts beautifully, I get pan on, pipe hooked back up, drain plug back in, Dipstick tube back on.
Maybe I'll get this done today! Until I realize I have to drive to Lowes and get four grade eight bolts to replace the ones I cut off.

Wife says "You can't drive my car looking like that!" Take shower, clean clothes and make the trip to Lowes.
Get back, change back into dirty clothes. Now 4:00 PM.

Driveshaft back on, lower SK. Look up Tranny fluid Capacity which says for plug drain I need 5.3 pints. Who the heck still uses pints?
Consult with wife to see how many quarts (which is how tranny fluid comes) that is.

We work out two and a half quarts, hunt for funnel, spill fluid trying to measure a half quart - get tranny fluid all over me again.
(Hey! I never said I was smart.)

Start SK, warm up - no fluid on dipstick. Huh?
Check for leaks, none seen - WTH?

Finally realize that another two pints came out of the cooling line and from the upper part of the tranny when the filter was taken off - so add another quart and finally fluid registers on dipstick.
A big sigh of relief.

Test drive is fine, no leaks, tranny seems to be shifting better.
Time is now 5;30

Now I see why the tranny filter isn't on the maintenance schedule for the four speed.
ouch and thanks for post so others can see the horrors. all real..

http://www.acksfaq.com/96-FSM-v1-7A-pdf.htm
page 7A-23

all i have is this
http://www.fixkick.com/IGN_timing/tune-u...#Automatic.

see
The A/T filter. ACCESS:
http://www.fixkick.com