Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN!
Thanks Fix Kick! I don't have time to digest everything you said and I'm certainly willing to try to make the cable work but here is the response I got from James at Rhinoview

"My interfaces use a direct USB connection, other manufacturers interfaces will not be recognised by the software because they are only designed to use the virtual com port. Many years ago I did have some software that used the VCP but I moved away from that because it was too slow and unreliable, that software is no longer supported. I cannot provide support for other manufacturers interfaces.

There are several different USB protocols. The FTDI chip can communicate with a PC as either a Virtual Com Port device or as a Bulk Transfer Device. The VCP protocol relies on an FTDI driver communicating through the Windows Serial API which hasn't been properly supported since Windows 98, it requires manual configuration, is slow and is prone to 'hanging' if the cable is momentarily unplugged. The Bulk Transfer protocol is a 'proper' USB protocol and supports automatic detection and reconnection, in addition I get three times the data transfer rate which gives a much better resolution when datalogging. You need the D2XX driver from FTDI, it used to be supplied separately to the VCP driver but these days there is only one download that installs both drivers.
I have been working away for six months but I will be building another batch of interfaces next week, the interface will work with your 95

regards
James"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable - by fixkick - 09-09-2014, 06:15 PM
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN! - by mpo - 10-09-2014, 12:39 AM
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN! - by mpo - 10-09-2014, 08:08 PM
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN! - by mpo - 10-10-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN! - by mpo - 10-11-2014, 07:52 AM
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN! - by DETN8R - 04-29-2017, 02:43 AM
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN! - by mpo - 05-04-2017, 12:23 AM
RE: Rhino software and ALDL Cable...WIN! - by mpo - 05-04-2017, 07:24 AM