Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shifter won't shift
(05-26-2014, 12:46 AM)fixkick Wrote: calling shops is no good, they can not drive a car and tell you,
any mech, worth salt can answer this , hands on.

the first step is to say what CANT shift means?

1: can you shift to 1st gear, depress the clutch and start the engine? y/n.
then let out the clutch pedal and car now moves.
if yes and yes, it does shift, (see?)
no? the car moves as i crank (bad clutch system) note is said system and not the actual clutch deep in side bell housing.
yes it starts, but NO the car will not move, that is bad shifting. (maybe)

there are 2 common easy failures here.
1: THE SHIFTER LEVER BOTTOM PLASTICS ARE NOW JUST DUST A $5 FIX, and prevents getting in to gear, unless, forced hard and random, actions.
this effect is seen with shifted into 1st gear, and starting with clutch out, in that the car dont move, because its in neutral really.
2:bad cable, bad levers. on each end.
the clutch lever on the bottom of the engine, bell side right must move 1 inch, with clutch depressed (2 person test)
if that happens, the clutch cable system is working if the play spec, is set right. called free play.

see free play nut 19 here
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/clutch/clu...-kick.html

if the lever 11 moves 1inch, the cable did its job.
period.
if it fails sometimes the pedal is cracked or the pedal spline is stripped. see loves to strip in the above link, or see weld break. same photo same page.

now the shifter plastics.

part id 27 is the top fail all these cars.
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/rails.JPG

it causes the shifter to fail , to engage the shift forks and go to wrong gear or land in Neutral.
a $5 fix.
and 1hr labor.

Thanks--what do you have to pull apart to get to part 27? Part 19 looked fine when we pulled it out taking the lever off. Can I buy part 19 at autozone or somewhere like that?

thanks--tried everything else you suggested and the shifter will shift when engine is off and I can drive in that gear for a while before I have to turn the engine off to get into other gears. Must be part 19 and 27--have to figure out how to get to part 19. Can you do it through the lever opening?

Messages In This Thread
shifter won't shift - by bettyd48 - 05-25-2014, 10:07 AM
RE: shifter won't shift - by fixkick - 05-26-2014, 12:46 AM
RE: shifter won't shift - by bettyd48 - 05-26-2014, 04:38 AM
RE: shifter won't shift - by fixkick - 05-26-2014, 07:15 AM
RE: shifter won't shift - by bettyd48 - 05-31-2014, 02:48 AM
RE: shifter won't shift - by fixkick - 05-31-2014, 03:09 AM