Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1990 Geo Tracker Water Pump Project
Hey guys,

For the last few months (winter into spring) I've noticed a small coolant leak under my Tracker. Actually, I had a few around the hoses that I've managed to stop by tightening the hose clamps -- yes they were switched to worm gear style by a past mechanic...grrr!

Anyway, I've continued to have a small amount of coolant collect around the front of the engine along the oil pan gasket. Now, It has actually started to drip onto the axle pumpkin and seems worse right after driving.

After going all over the engine checking hoses and connections, it seems to be originating from the water pump bottom weep hole area. The water pump cast fin seems wet although I haven't actually spotted a drip coming from the hole. I'm planning to confirm this by heating up the engine and watching this area for leaks now that I've spotted a possible source.

My question is or what I need help with is parts and numbers for the this job. It's for a 1990 Geo Tracker LSI 4X4 8v

I've had good-luck buying from http://monsterfactoryparts.com but I know there are parts (like the water pump o-ring) not shown that I would need as well. I'm also replacing all of the hoses and the timing belt and tensioner. If you have a service sheet or a cross-ref (sidekick JX) with part numbers for this particular job, that would be awesome.

Thanks so much for your time.
Hi Trk90, I've bought almost everything I need for timing belt changes and water pumps including their gaskets from rockauto.com for my Tracker and other cars I've had. So far they've worked and fit just fine, I try picking the more recognized brands and not go by the cheapest.

If they switched to worm gear hose clamps make sure the rip or leak is not being covered by the actual clamp, I've found a couple leaks coming from the slots on the worm gear clamp sinking and cutting into the rubber and as the hose gets old and expands it makes a very small leak which occurs when the coolant gets hot and the system creates pressure. Needless to say the weep hole on these pumps work nicely, the one on my Tracker alerted me of a worn out pump a couple years ago.
1996 Geo Tracker, CAMI, 16 valve, 5sp, 4x4, soft top, 2 door, no a/c
Thanks gorkyb!

I almost forgot about RockAuto...so much for the dozen or so refrigerator magnets!

I've had good-luck in the past with AC Delco parts from my dealer so hopefully this water pump will last longer than the current--37K. Cool! They even have the inlet O-ring.

Curious though...http://monsterfactoryparts.com has the metal inlet pipe for a 1990 sidekick JX. Its $60 but to be honest, I thought mine was bad the last time I did this job. Do you think the 1990 JX inlet pipe would be a direct replacement for the Trackers? I've never been completely clear on which parts are exactly the same. If you search for a GEO part, it says discontinued but the same suzuki part is in stock...it's confusing to say the least!

Thanks for your help!
Geo (GM) support is virtually nonexistent, except for a few things you can find in sites such as gmpartsdirect. I've tried many times even calling my local GM dealer which is one of the biggest in New York State and when I say "geo" they chuckle. Fixkick and his page have helped me many times criscrossing suzuki parts for my geo and they all have fitted perfectly so far, I've even done this with junk parts.

What do you think is bad with that pipe? If you think is clogged I'm sure if you take it out you can clean it well on a workbench, if you think is rotten and leaking that's another story.
Thanks Gorkyb,

The reason why I'm going to try ordering that pipe is the condition mine was in a few years ago...heavily pitted scale--especially on the hose neck area. I figure if mine lasted 24 years a new one should outlast the Trackers ultimate demise!

Actually, and the reason for my initial post, thought maybe Fixkick may have a work order for such a repair. I'm sure the water pump job has been performed a million times by now! He has such an insane amount of info on this site! Anyway, It's all good...between Rockauto and MonsterFactoryParts I'm good-to-go. However, I'm still Keeping my fingers crossed on the dreaded NLA notice on a few minor parts!

Gorky, I completely understand your situation with your parts dealer. The guy I was ordering parts from in PA informed me about their end-of-life a few years back. It got so bad sourcing parts that on my last order, He was trying to get a part from Guam through his network! All the parts that I received through him were Suzuki parts with an AC Delco sticker. Some of the parts, like the ICS, were significantly cheaper buying from a Suzuki dealer--I think the first ICS I bought was like $50 and the last was over $175.

Thanks again!
I am originally from Ecuador, where they just stopped manufacturing these vehicles in 2012, theoretically they should have a decent amount of new spare parts left in their local market. During my next trip home I will attempt to stock up on some important and hard to find parts.

And yes, fixkick and his pages are so helpful to all of us, I recently learned in school the basics of creating and maintaining websites, and it turns out is not as simple as I thought, generating, editing and updating its content with accurate and relevant information, etc. Very time consuming and labor intensive, it deserves gratitude and admiration. Yes, there are FSM's you can buy, but honestly for some of us who are not professional automotive technicians, the information in the FSM is not as easy to understand, fixkick translates it and makes sense out of them for us. The only reason my Tracker is still running is because of this website and forum.
i like pumps, not rebuilt
but new one made in JAPAN.
see rockautos page and pick one form japan maker.
or real suzuki
but tell them no rebuilds, one dealer tried to sell a rebuild at new price, he dont get my business now. what crooks.
the pump looked like it was sand blasted with gravel. at 200psi
and the threaded holes were destroyed,

i pointed to that and he just grinned funny.. not so funny.
end rant,
LOL
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks! Ended up returning an ACDelco pump that was made in china and bought the Aisin pump. The Aisin looked and felt completely different than the ACDelco in terms of quality. The final parts should be arriving shortly but I may expand this project.

Long story short, the cylinder head was replaced several years ago and it came with a helicoil in one of the exhaust mounting threads. I screamed bloody murder at the time but supposedly a helicoil was an acceptable repair in the aftermarket head. It didn't take me long to find out that the bolt would come loose after a few weeks. Finally, the helicoil stripped. In a last ditch effort, I re-threaded the hole slightly larger and thread locked the bolt knowing that I would be SOL if I ever needed to take it apart. Which brings me to my question...

Are there any differences in the casting numbers marked S-1, S-2 & S-3 on a 61A 8v cylinder head?

I'm thinking that if I'm ripping the front of the motor down, maybe I should think about replacing the head as well. I've never felt comfortable with that repair even though it's lasted a few years. Any insight would be appreciated...thanks!
That Aisin is great.they made the 4speed tranny too, very good quality. I think ACdelco are good, they used to be...

a Helicoil can be better, some Mil spec equipment forbids, threaded aluminum treads and must be coiled. (i think it is hardest loctite set too)

i do not know how to decode those casing numbers.the head builders can.
on the 16v the head changed head bolt washer (captive) mid stride.
id run that head until he bolt fell out. but, that would be no long distance usage. depends on usage.

8v heads
there are carb and fuel injection headx, the former has an fuel pump mount. 60axx heads are carb. 61A00 heads are injection.
the head was the same in usa, 89 to 1995, (G16)
the world wide head is an other matter, there are 3 heads. in 3 factories, and cab and injector.
the Santana, Mygar and Japan factory will have codes that make them all unique even though the PN is the same.
http://www.fixkick.com