Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting the 1.8L Sport!
With the modification, it is working that way for now. I hope I can use of the old switch for at least 10000 more miles.
i have the most faith in taking a switch apart and repairing the contacts inside. as many do to the PRNDL.

im not sure how easy that is on the key switch. ( i look for rivets and drill them out, the use small screws and loctite to reAssemble the switch)

ive even gone as far as , taking them apart and using silver solder to patch the contact holes.

been there done that.

if you can post a photo of this hack, I love hacks, i mean that in good way. Love to see solutions , of any kind.
after all some folks are in great need of a running car, and no store in 100 miles has the part (suzuki disease i call this...)
nor can you wait a week for rockauto to ship part or wait 10 days after a 3 day holiday. (like today)

my only photo,
i had my tumbler re KEYed, (old was worn too bad to work right) by a pro key shop, (took it in)
my guess is you slotted hole with arrow and set a bias to the switch.
[Image: ign-switch1.jpg]

i think this switch is heat welded, with no screws. or rivets in switch, making it near impossible to fix.

btw , ford got sued, for this part failing, (in the news, NOW) CLASS ACTION AND FED.

seems loss of power steering and loss of ABS, people crash.
not me, i assume it's fill fail at any time and was trained to do that. in the old days, (points and carbs) cars stalled all the time. so is natural for us to react correctly
seems not today. Drivers ED. bad.

I taught me wife to drive and this was DAY one, CLASS.
how to drive a stalled engine, car, see how the brakes get hard, DON'T panic. etc. same with manual steering,
AND HOW TO unwind 4wd. etc.

so please tell your loved ones the car might stall at any time.
even demo it. stall it but do not lock the steering, moving,...
off road.
http://www.fixkick.com
Sorry for not taking photo when doing this!
What I can tell you is that the photo with the red arrow above: Take the only one screw out and cut one edge of the hole completely and drill it at the base of the switch. When the switch is reassembled with the screw half way in, adjust the switch to find the crank position by cranking the truck. If the truck fires up easily at which point, screw it up with a lock washer. That is all I did.
Notice: This modification can works only under one condition. When you have the problem of cranking the truck, remove the switch (the one with the arrow) out of the assembly, crank the truck with a screwdriver. If the truck fires up. Then, this modification will work!
thanks, yes, i guessed right, you put bias on the switch.
the ST contacts are worn to dust, so the bias finds new contact metal and now cranks.
how long this will last is unknown.
for sure , useful to any one stranded or needing it to work again, now.
good luck with your car, happy trails
You know, my pig tail is still alive with this mod! Don't ever throw your worn out switch away.
never throw any switch away , if it can be dismantiled.
many can.
$200 combo switchs
PRNDL,
and more.
many are just dirty,
no actual damage.

really is just service.. to the switch.

on some, ive even removed contacts, and silver solder them, burnish them and then silicon grease them.
on very old cars, that there are no switches sold anywhere,( classic cars) its a must do.
btw,
thanks for sharing,
and me personally any time a part can be fixed. by hand
is a blessing.
for sure.,
and lowers down time, as many suzuki parts take weeks to get, if it comes from suzuki, as many still are not made aftermarket.
A few week ago my Sport developed another non-starting issue. When the ignition switch was turned on, it was just quite. I tried to move the 4 speed auto from P to 2 and back but nothing.

I know the pig tail of ignition switch is still alive with that mod. I decided to look at the starter itself. First I tried to tap it but still nothing. I removed the starter to test with a separate battery, it worked with unload. I put it back into engine and nothing happened with loading.

Finally, the starter was dissembled and what we found out were that all pieces of what are called here charcoals were worn out almost completely!
we just replaced all pieces of those charcoals just for 15$ and tested with the battery and it worked!!!Smile

The new starter would cost almost 200$. The Sport's starter was produced by Mitsubishi.
Thanks and yes, and brush kits can be bought.
in the old cars books, they taught how to repair starter, in 40 /50s, and 60s, even suzuki sells them.(sub parts)
and told how to replace a solenoid. (brushes and sols are like the most causes)
today , they just kick starter to curb, due to crazy labor costs.
a rebuilt starter can be had for $100 or so, even with life time guarantee,

one time long ago, no brushes, so we stole the carbon rod out of this huge carbon battery, (used in huge lanterns)
stripped, the cell to the carbon rod, and then filed it square and bam , car starts. (then later bought the real thing, rescued)
way far , into the woods, no stores for 100 miles or more...