Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P0440 code
Hi All,

Newbie to this site- I'm sure u gave advice on this before..OBDII showed me code P0440-and only this one code-- cked the gas cap-and gasket-- after all these years I'm surprised it was not sooner-(bought this Tracker new-1998- 4WD-4DR- Chevy Tracker-98K)-- Eyeballed and Cap Gasket was worn, it had a small crack and just looked dried out- Bought a new OEM Cap put it on. Cleared the code. It was so cold and windy -I only did a quick look under the hood check. If it wasn't only the cap- should CEL light come back soon? Anything else should be changed under this code at this mileage now? I haven't gotten a good chance to peruse the whole sight yet.
thx--- 98TrackerMan
welcome for sure !
any scan tool can clear the codes or pull the dome fuse for 2-5minutes. bam cleared.

evap tests are the most odd tests of all.
EVAP can even delay, the testing until the tank drops level below 3/4 full ( hint it needs air space to work) (EVAP MONITORS)
Most cars, take up to 30 mins driving fast to get ALL evap monitors to run and clear. (or fail)

i'd not touch EVAP ,until it throws a code. (or comes back 1 or 2 times)
the fsm covers this and is many long convoluted tests with vacuum gauges, a voltmeter, and pressure leak downtests, using shop air. (fsm says use dry nitrogen for safety)

it's just a tank vent, if not smog tested, its no big deal. we drove for near 100 years, with none.
but it is then #1 cause of air pollution today. 1billion cars moving now.

EVAP just catches the fumes, and the burns them, zero smog.
my newer car 08 has an on-board EVAP pressure generating pump that does even move tests. and more things to break.

if the system works, when you remove the cap on a hot day, it will blast you with fuels, cold morning, then it gets hot outside, and pressure builds, and it blasts you, cap off'd.
this is normal. and a sign it working and holding pressure, as pressure builds the relief valve opens and deposits said fumes in the charcoal bed (canister) for run time suck out.
when you drive the engine sucks the fumes out.
http://www.fixkick.com
Many many thanks, Ur explanation makes it alot clearer- gonna get some coffee and peruse the rest of the site -I'll keep my eyes and nose open- Great Info- great site--! 98TrackerMan

(03-19-2014, 11:23 PM)fixkick Wrote: welcome for sure !
any scan tool can clear the codes or pull the dome fuse for 2-5minutes. bam cleared.

evap tests are the most odd tests of all.
EVAP can even delay, the testing until the tank drops level below 3/4 full ( hint it needs air space to work) (EVAP MONITORS)
Most cars, take up to 30 mins driving fast to get ALL evap monitors to run and clear. (or fail)

i'd not touch EVAP ,until it throws a code. (or comes back 1 or 2 times)
the fsm covers this and is many long convoluted tests with vacuum gauges, a voltmeter, and pressure leak downtests, using shop air. (fsm says use dry nitrogen for safety)

it's just a tank vent, if not smog tested, its no big deal. we drove for near 100 years, with none.
but it is then #1 cause of air pollution today. 1billion cars moving now.

EVAP just catches the fumes, and the burns them, zero smog.
my newer car 08 has an on-board EVAP pressure generating pump that does even move tests. and more things to break.

if the system works, when you remove the cap on a hot day, it will blast you with fuels, cold morning, then it gets hot outside, and pressure builds, and it blasts you, cap off'd.
this is normal. and a sign it working and holding pressure, as pressure builds the relief valve opens and deposits said fumes in the charcoal bed (canister) for run time suck out.
when you drive the engine sucks the fumes out.