Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1990 Geo Tracker - Electrical Issues
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has encountered the following issue:

I have a 1990 Geo Tracker LSI. The battery is approximately 3 yrs. old and the alternator is original. With the except of a ECU swap and TPS around 10 or so years ago, I never had an electronic issue.

Today, driving to work, the radio, heater motor & tachometer all died. The car continued to drive OK and I made it to work. At lunch, I checked the status of the electrical issues and ALL seemed to work OK. Drove the car home with no issues at all.

First of all, has anyone come across this issue or diagnosed it. Secondly, where would I begin to troubleshoot something like this?

I appreciate any replies! -Thanks Larry
**** UPDATE ****

Tried checking the system after supper and found out that it's NOT working correctly. Dim lights while running. Under load (radio, heater, etc.) made it worse. I think the Alternator is giving up the ghost. Sorry for posting so quickly...didn't make sense that the trip home seemed fine unless it was enough time for the battery to recover.
Hi Larry, Autozone or Pep Boys test alternators for free. Or you can try to troubleshoot it yourself:

http://www.fixkick.com/Charging/charging.html
1996 Geo Tracker, CAMI, 16 valve, 5sp, 4x4, soft top, 2 door, no a/c
(02-28-2014, 06:38 AM)Trk90 Wrote: Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has encountered the following issue:

I have a 1990 Geo Tracker LSI. The battery is approximately 3 yrs. old and the alternator is original. With the except of a ECU swap and TPS around 10 or so years ago, I never had an electronic issue.

Today, driving to work, the radio, heater motor & tachometer all died (got battery terms corroded? or battery not at 13.3-15v runing?
was head lights on, no? if no, turn them on, did more things die? even engine stall (im adding more loads to tax the system)
DID THE CHARGE LAMP COME ON?

The car continued to drive OK and I made it to work. At lunch, I checked the status of the electrical issues and ALL seemed to work OK. Drove the car home with no issues at all.

First of all, has anyone come across this issue or diagnosed it. Secondly, where would I begin to troubleshoot something like this?

I appreciate any replies! -Thanks Larry
all fuses good?
battery terms cleaned.?
begin with a voltmeter. always. even the $10 walfart meter. id go for the $20 digital.

rested the battery will be 12.6vdc. if not it , is bad or only discharged, or alt is not keeping it charged.
start engine (BAT terms)read about 13.3v to 15v !, if not alternator shut down

i dont like that 3 things failed. symptoms
that heater uses like 10 to 15amps, and has its own fuse. telling me you lost power at the engine bay fuse box .

this is a common failure on salted roads

http://www.fixkick.com/electrical-failure.html

ps , in day light , no heaters on, no lights car can go about 4 hours with a shut down alternator. some where below 10v the ECU dies. 9v, is my guess.

I had one car blow the ALT at 40 miles from home, at midnight.
it made it 1 block to my door. and died,... in this case, Head lights on, it went 50 mins, and died.
hope my bench marks help you, and others be safe. (plans)
http://www.fixkick.com