Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No injector pulse.... Is dead tachometer causing this?
Hello and let me first say THANK YOU!!! for your work and dedication to this forum. I have learned SO MUCH from you over the past few years.
I recently purchased a 1995 sidekick JX, 4dr, 16v, 4x4, manual trans. I bought it as a non-runner that someone had already been working on. The car overheated so they did head job, timing belt, water pump, and radiator. They just couldn't get it to run afterwards. I hate assuming ANYTHING!!..
so I checked the basics. 1. Good motor (good compression, timing,valve lash) 2. good spark 3. No injector pulse. Noticed tach dead? (no twitch at all upon cranking)
SO. am I reading your guidelines right that the tach HAS to work? and if so
how to check?
Thanks so much,
jjgolf
with all that , it must run on test fuel , proving lost fueling, for about 3 seconds, it will run , after spraying test fuel.....
so test fuel works.
yes, the ecu will tell you , all ways to end injection but 1. (that one , is TPS stuck wide open electrically)
all 4 injectors are dead, do that is a logic decision of the ECU. it did it on purpose.
insert the diag jumper wire
key on
crank for 5 seconds, the ecu will report bad cmp #42, its not because you have spark but will also report if the tachometer line is dead. (missing spark suppressor) cpde 41/
if code 41 pops up. for any reason the ECU cuts fuel , even when spark is 100% perfect. (but the brown wire is dead,. tacho)
you are very close, im glad for you....!!

41s will trip with 1 pulse in 6 missing, its very sensitive.

most times the suppressor just falls off the harness,. at engine pulls, etc.
its like 1/2 size, zippo lighter. 6 cents of electronics for $33 at Suz dealer.
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks for QUICK reply!! I can't produce any codes, no matter what!? I was doing your 8 step ECU test check when I questioned test #3 because I don't get any code. So I skipped on to next steps.
#4 skip, don't run, #5 skip, no clicking, #6 unplug both IAT and ECT, NO CODES!? Talked to local Suzuki dealer mechanic and he said 1995 and up won't set code that way. That they were hard pressed to set codes.? Maybe I'm just old school but I thought you should be able to force codes.
(Survival mode?) BTW I like your "Lost Mode".
jjgolf
(01-21-2014, 09:52 AM)jjgolf Wrote: Thanks for QUICK reply!! I can't produce any codes, no matter what!? I was doing your 8 step ECU test check when I questioned test #3 because I don't get any code. So I skipped on to next steps.
#4 skip, don't run, #5 skip, no clicking, #6 unplug both IAT and ECT, NO CODES!? Talked to local Suzuki dealer mechanic and he said 1995 and up won't set code that way. That they were hard pressed to set codes.? Maybe I'm just old school but I thought you should be able to force codes.
jjgolf

O.K.As you can see I'm not very computer savvy AT ALL on these forums. If I understand right, my ECU must be bad because it doesn't throw codes?
Or are there more tests to perform on tachometer like the brown wire you refer to. If the suppressor is missing it should throw code?
non runner, yes, I do that all the time, I like to fix, the dead and dog, cars.... cheap cars.
my guess, NO SPARK?, no spark is good.
The 8 steps are mostly 89 to 95 , but could also be , for 1996 and newer. (if you change the code numbers from obd1 to 2. its easy)
the 92 to 95 16v are all the same , with not considering smog tweaks ,EGR modes. all are obd2 all fail for bad caps,. 1 time.
and thanks so much for feed back, on my 8 steps, (these are all just for catastrophic common fails, not all fails for sure)
your mech, is wrong, he meant 1996 and up, suzuki did not use OBD2 until 1996, this is a fact. (we can show him the 1995 FSM if it dont believe it, and watch it flash out codes , with the CEL)
test 3 in your case , passing means CMP is ok. and if RPM with the Scan tool goes high then you have bad ignitor or coil.
but your spark is good, so there will be no codes for spark, so test 3 is not even in question.

test 6 is to see if the ECU has not lost it brains, noodle. they can go to backup mode and do that. for sure.
sorry so slow, my waring email failed.
they will not throw a DTC for open ECT wires, the ECU is OFF LINE.
this can be tested on any car, 1988 to now, all cars throw ECT open if in fact it open, (disconnected)
The fsm covers this clearly under catastrophic monitors. all cars have that. its monitors for open sensors all the time, on or running.
you are 100% correct and you mach, needs OBD1/2 refresh course. sorry but he does.
hard pressed to set codes, that is a true statement, if one is comparing 0bd1 to obd2, but why would he, it not OBD2 at all .
hard pressed is true, my new obd2 car will dump 1000s of DTCs. (even Throttle body ICING) and radio no talking on the Can-bus..... the comparison is point less.
so does your ECU flash code 12s on demand,
if not , its dead.
if yes, it must flash bad ECT if you unplug it , if not its a dead ecu or in backup mode, same, thing really, of ECU has 12v power.
i promise you, your 1995 ECU will flash code 12s. (if no failures with sensors)
i also promise that the ECT unplugged test will flash. code 14, open ECT , too high voltage. (illegal cold temperatures. , out of range error is what this is)
insert the paper clip. and it must flash something. at the CEL.. it must. (lamp good)
yes, code 41 fill set (flash) if the suppressor cube is missing. i promise...... im must revise my page, for this case.....

sorry im so slow.
your eCU is dead, see test 1 again
hit control + F5 key together to see new page. after loaded.

http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/ECU.html#Tests

see rule 0 and 1 , in red here.

http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/ECU.html#Tests

if your 16v has a bad CEL lamp we can ignore it and use a meter.
seen
here.
see analog meter here, or LED test?

http://www.fixkick.com/CEL/DLC/DiagJump.html

CEL on all the time and code 12s fail? all codes fail, to flash?

that is NAG mode, remove the nag switch or slide it 1 time.
now CEL will Flash 12's (must) or some codes.
if CEL always dead (never glows), and fuses good, then use the meter test above. on volts range.
This convenient CEL pin allows easy CEL tests. when its burned out.

we will make it run, i promise.!!
Thanks for QUICK reply!! I can't produce any codes, no matter what!? I was doing your 8 step ECU test check when I questioned test #3 because I don't get any code. So I skipped on to next steps.
jjgolf

he means the old OBD1 only throws, 25 codes not 1000 like my new car, mine even tell me the radio does not talk right on the CAN-buss, and 999 more.....

this ecu will report, many hard fails. in fact no start fails are all reported but one way.
let me list them and the missing code, for OBD1
fuses good, ig-coil, FI and dome, test the fuses

1: CEL glows, (good the ECU is alive) if not fix this first.
2: CEL flashes 12s on demand, it must or some other code, any code but nothing, if not fix that next.
3: no 41 DTC, allowed or it will not start.
4: no code 42s, same deal.
5: any TPS code at all can kill a START up. (it will report stuck high or low, illegal TPS levels are all reported, unplug it and watch it? bam DTC.
6: TPS stuck at WOT will NOT report, or set any code and will in fact kill all injections, (this is a weakness)
7: weakness 2, the ECU does not even test its own injector output, a travesty really. (so we must use a NOID limp)

#6 is a feature and not a bug, it is the magic unflood mode in action (all cars have this)

if all this checks out, and spark tests pass.
we then do a noid light test. (crawling under car is no fun so)
if noid passes, you have zero fuel pressure,clogged filter (60k tune up.?), if injections do not squirt fuel.
if noid light fails the ECU is bad. (or injector wires cut.) on 16v the front injector harness can be just unplugged by accident. or corroded.

you are not slow, all this is archane tech.
please do ask for help and ask any questions, and do report your successes. please.