Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New trouble code P0001
Just had a little issue starting car at -35c, turns out that the wiring for my block heater was broken. But i tried and tried to start the car before i realized the issue. Fixed up the block heater and car started after a few hours of plug in.

So I decided to check the codes as i do regulalry now that I have a scan tool, and to my surpirse it showed me this "P0001, fuel volume regulator control circuit open"

car would not enter closed loop and stay there, it did touch closed loop for a few moments but not long enough for LTFT to be active.

I think I friewd my O2 sensor with raw fuel by flooding it for a long time.

Is this a possibility?

Oh and the O2 S1B1 reads 0.0 volts no fluctuation, I think its fried.

Still sitting on a new O2 sensor which i did plug in to the harness and got a small a signal from. But the old one still on car gives nothing.

Upstream O2 killed by raw unburned fuel.

I hope so.
great work. checks... very revealing.
-35c , ouch....

low reading, 02 front means. super lean or dead. (bad 02 or is being killed, by blanket of carbon, Bosch even has a white paper on this effect.)
here are all 1996 codes, this 1 car.
http://www.fixkick.com/CEL/96_ALL_CEL/96_all_dtcs1.pdf

p0001,, no such ani-mule. it is not in the SUZUKI or GM GEO book this code. it's a non suzuki code. for sure. check again.

P0101 is dead weak maf. ???
when the ECU sees the maf dead it goes to limphome mode and that will make the 02 get covered in black soot. (the carbon blanket ,blocks oxygen from touching the element.)

that front (upstream) sensor , the heater must work (1amps current) or its will never work, right. Bosch 13073 (4wire

if your front 02 is original ,im sure its bad. many are original..

limphome is cause by these factors (and way too high fuel pressure, say 60psi)

02 at zero volts. (cell not swinging but stuck) the CELL in side acts like a very hot battery Cell.
1: bad 02 (dead CELL)
2: carbon blanketed. (effects)
3: heater on 02 dead.
4: gross exhaust leak , the classic is #4 exh. manifold crack. sucking in lots of oxygen. (exh tubes goe negative pressure between putts and can suck air)
5: in limphome mode. or worse Backup mode.

one other effect is ice on the outside of the 02 can block its air vents, this sensor actually measures, the difference in oxygen from the outside to the inside,
http://www.fixkick.com
the design limit on cars is -40C so ,..... you are near that,
just takes really good fuel. very cold rated fuel , rated for Klondike.
at this temp, only parts of the fuel burn, the very volatile parts. leaving the rest to foul spark tips. (but gets way better soon as engine runs..., hot cylinders.
good thing your garage is warm. grin !

hell, dont good whiskey free at -40F?
Car would not hold closed loop this morning, but it did register for a little while. Not so happy with it so.

I bit the bullet and spent the better part of 7 hours changing out the o2 sensor, the old one came out but brought a fair anount of cast iron with it. So I removed the exhst manifold and tapped it clean. Seems ok, no leak and went in pretty tight so Iam hoping for the best. First time getting that far into any car, all in all, went pretty well.

All back together and it seems to have a little bit better acceleration, LTFT was quite steady around +8 to +12 STFT was hanging around -3 to +3. O2B1S1 fluctuating nicely.

This little Autel scanner just makes me want to upgrade to something that can track fuel consumption, access more information if possible and store more data on a hard drive.

This x90 takes a real beating up here, with 5 drivers and a minimum of 3 cold starts per day and a short 15km commute 3 times a day. Average annual temp is -16. All gravel or ice road depending on the season so its pretty bumpy. Car had 160,000kms when it arrived in august 2012 now its up to 192000. I just stated taking maintenance of the thing seriously when it was almost too late. Hard life for a 17 year old car for sure.
no more DTCs stored?
too high fuel pressure.
the LTFT means nothing it it wont hold closed loop at idle and light cruise.
for MPG to work the MAF must be good and it must hold closed loop,. the MPG scale is tracked off air flow and stoich and MPH (vss)
i made my own MPG gauge, had fun doing that.

your car is like the Timex watch, takes licking and keeps on ticking...
there are lots of ways to fail stoich
too high fuel pressure
leaking injectors. to name 2.
runs well, closed loop is active.
still have not checked fuel pressure
do have occasional code p0301

thinking i have a faulty injector, dirty is my guess. I will swap it out and see what happens.

Starting to get it, LTFT is just the average correction of injector pulse width over a set length of time. STFT is moment by moment correction. used to achieve Stoich.

So if my LTFT is way high or way low it indicates a significant correction for lean or rich conditions which would indicate some type of mechanical problem, vacuum leak, too high fuel pressure or a worn engine/ valves etc.

If within certain limits, I read + or - 10% that is OK. STFT will always correct for the moment when in closed loop.

The O2 sensoor I removed was quite a bit different than the Bosch unit i used to replace it, the old one was a tube with many holes the new one has just 2 slits. perhaps the old one was original.

And one final question,
16v 4/AT replacing rear crank seal, easier to pull motor or drop tranny?

(12-11-2013, 04:19 AM)fixkick Wrote: the design limit on cars is -40C so ,..... you are near that,
just takes really good fuel. very cold rated fuel , rated for Klondike.
at this temp, only parts of the fuel burn, the very volatile parts. leaving the rest to foul spark tips. (but gets way better soon as engine runs..., hot cylinders.
good thing your garage is warm. grin !

hell, dont good whiskey free at -40F?

we do get special gas here, once a year by ship. Cheapest price in the country too! $1.04 a liter everyday all year.

VW made a nice cold weather test track here a few years ago but moved out when someone leaked photos of the latest models, so we have a nice 1 mile gravel oval, dont drive it though as it is built above grade, sliding off that thing would be a real mess. They must have used pro drivers.

One year we had bad gas, trucks no start, snowmobiles quitting out on he frozen ocean.
So it was a couple weeks of steady c130 and L188 loads of gas from 1500kms away!

Never did freeze my whiskey, never tried though.

The x90 did freeze last winter, -45c ( not wind chill) and a real good blow on . The car was parked in an area not shielded from the wind. I had to drag the car home tarp it and 24 hrs with a buddy heater and it was OK