Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airbag light on
Hello All,

I recently had a new heater core and evaporator core installed in my 96 suzuki sidekick jlx sport. I had to go back to the mechanic,because the fresh air damper cable was jammed up. He got it working pretty well. A couple days later the airbag light came on. I had the mechanic look at the wiring behind glovebox, to see if passenger airbag may have been accidently disconnected while he worked on the damper cable. Everything seemed fine. He tried to diagnose the airbags with his Snap on diagnostic tool, but was unable to pull any information.

Do I need to find a former Suzuki Dealer, to get this problem resolved?
Anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

eddy sidekick
finding information on Sports is spotty, and air bags too.
it should be here, (FSM) but is not.
http://www.acksfaq.com/trackerfsm.htm
any 96 Suzuki sidekick FSM will do.. id try to find it.
Suzuki handles the sport by adding a supplement manual a very thin book, covering mostly 1.8L EFI issues. (very bad coverage on this car, )

finding shops that can do old SUZUKi bags, is limited. (no scan tool for it)

here is what 1 book shows.
arming SIR system
Arming The System

Turn the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.

Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.

Engage the passenger air bag inflator module yellow connector. Install glove box.

Engage the yellow connector inside the inflator module housing on the driver's air bag. Install the inflator module onto the connector stay.

Install the plastic access cover.

Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Verify that the air bag indicator lamp flashes 7 times and then turns OFF. If the lamp does not function as specified, there is a malfunction in the SIR system.

This system has its own scan tool for bags. on pin 9 the Main 16pin DLC, is BAG communications.
check bag fuse
check seat belt switch.
left the disable connector loose?
loose conn. on the air bag module below the ash tray.?

the disable instructions state:

Turn the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.

Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the key.

Remove the AIR BAG fuse from the air bag fuse box.

Remove the steering wheel side cap and disengage the yellow connector inside the inflator module housing.

Remove the glove box, by disengaging both glove box stoppers from each side, then unplug the yellow passenger air bag inflator module connector.

good luck to you.
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks Fixkick
I have not checked in for a while. Had other problems with the sidekick. Had to have my mechanic replace rear main seal and redo silicone gasket on oilpan. Hopefully all my engine leaks are taken care of now. Will take sidekick back to the mechanic early next week, to take another look at airbag system. I will relay your suggestions to the mechanic. Thanks again for your help!!
eddy sidekick