Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH
Hello,

First time posting to a forum. I am having some trouble with my sidekick and I've been stumped for a while.

1995 Suzuki Sidekick JX, FED emissions model (non California), 16v, manual transmission, 130K miles

Got the car a year ago, I had to do a lot of work to get it to where it is. PO had pulled the engine and rebuilt the top end, changed every sensor under the hood and swapped the intake manifold with the one that has external EGR lines. 

After I put everything back together, I mechanically timed the engine to cylinder #4 (lined up all the marks) and then timed the spark to cylinder #1.

Got everything installed and the vehicle started right up, still starts and idles fine to this day... but it runs soo rich the exhaust smells like pure gasoline and it has almost no power at all. I can move it around under its own power fine, but it wont climb a hill or drive in traffic. Turning the engine with the spark plugs out spews fuel like crazy, way worse than any normal engine I have ever seen (31 years of mechanic experience)

Yes I have spark to all four plugs, good spark.

Compression test was good
185-195 on all cylinders
Tested the injectors (Noid light) all fired properly
Brand new MAF (Have not tested it with a meter or tried a third one) no change when swapped back and forth with old one.
Pulled the ECU assuming the CAPs were blown, looks perfect inside. (should I change them anyway? Have pictures but can't post them, too large file size)

Tried to pull codes (no CEL when engine is running) to see what is going on... This is where I am stuck.
When I put the jumper across the plug near the battery with 6 pin slots (jumping b to d) the check engine light flickers like crazy and does not stop (not flashing like a code signal, flickering). With key on engine off (KOEO) the CEL is steady. Key on engine running (KOER) no check engine light.

Idle is pretty smooth but rpm does wander a little, between 600-900rpm, but mostly steady at 800ish.
Checked for vacuum leaks, could not find any and the vacuum gauge read normal and steady (15-20 in Hg at idle if I remember correctly)

Brand new fuel pressure regulator, it does work. I have ordered a Schrader valve so I can modify the fuel rail cap for a pressure test, I doubt that is going to be an issue though. 

Not sure what else to do. So I guess my question/issue is how do I correct the flickering CEL (what might this be, bad ecu?) and what do you think is going on with my fuel mixture? 

I have videos and pictures of everything listed but they are all too large to attached to this post. Any other info you need let me know. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Messages In This Thread
Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH - by repsolrider - 08-31-2023, 10:23 AM
RE: Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH - by fixkick - 09-15-2023, 10:50 PM
RE: Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH - by fixkick - 09-15-2023, 11:04 PM
RE: Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH - by fixkick - 10-05-2023, 08:55 PM
RE: Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH - by fixkick - 12-08-2023, 01:25 AM
RE: Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH - by fixkick - 12-08-2023, 01:39 AM
RE: Flickering CEL, runs SUPER RICH - by fixkick - 12-08-2023, 01:47 AM