Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1994 Sidekick 16v AT 4x4 4dr virgin ECM Ruby's still there
i'd want to check o2 carefully.
the old sidekicks made before 1996 (OBD2, USA)
love to go too rich, for many reasons, later the OBD2 ended gross error. (smarter it is, by design)
The limphome mode is horrible then pre 96 we know that and is a dead sensor and yours are not 100% dead.

The O2 is tricky here, this ECU is not smart like modern cars that see a lazy O2, or one that sticks. OBD1 not reliable at all.
Modern cars do (fancy NON Congruent tests) eg: maf shows high flow , TPS none, (means one is fibbing like my new JEEP does)
The code for stuck o2 on this are is not smart nor reliable to trust.

The top cause (code 12 flashing CEL even driving car wild and code 12 flashing (hint hint)
the O2 and MAF are both suspected, for sure MAF made in china from SOME TING WONG., they suck. and invites guessing parts and now have 2 or more problems in EFI not just 1. guessing and buying dirt cheap parts from china is fail max point.
The O2 best is BOSCH (NGK) and with heater and listed as G16b fit. see my hard to buy parts page on O2.
the O2 has 3 or 4 wires never 1, never 2 this year ok?
The heater 02 must be good, some of these cars have relay that runs the O2 heater and those fail and ECU is oblivious to that fact.
in 1996 the heater is fully monitored,, DTC errors for dead heater do not lie.
but on this car, we test it. make sure it is not an open heater.
the O2 will never work with exhaust cracks or header gaskets bad, ever, no car will even 2020.
Cracks sick air
each exhaust PUTT is a pressure wave then goes to vacuum, yes it does and sucks air if cracked. never let it suck air and the 02 works great for 100,000 miles or more.

fuel pressure right
injectors only for this exact engine not china crap (no name ) no name means just that you can not pronounce their name bingo,
leakdown test passes (yours) as must injector balance test pre FSM.
fuel pressure at spec. 31 idle is ok. (its range stated in FSM and on my pump page)
all sensors working correctly (maf , o2 and etc)
no exhaust cracks near 02 sensor. from cat up no cracks allowed. nor bad or missing collector header gaskets.
if air hits O2 the 02 goes to zero volts and 1995 goes MAX HORRIBLE RICH. 1996 USA far less rich, for sure. pre 96 love to go way too rich, OBD1 pain.

the hard part of the 02 is air can get sucked in at odd driving times, not just parked in drive way, engine gets hotter up hills and vibration and engine leans under load, yes leans on the mounts, think about that and now hard it is to find that, not.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1994 Sidekick 16v AT 4x4 4dr virgin ECM Ruby's still there - by fixkick - 10-28-2020, 11:02 PM