Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 2 door 3 speed auto to 5 speed manual swap
(04-14-2019, 01:08 AM)fixkick Wrote: suzuki or geo trackers? no name stated? nor engines , The 98 year even had j18 engines. on real suzuki's sidekick sports.
swaps are not easy, and the newer the car the difficulty is extreme.

avoid the p0740 for TCC lockup? ( avoid, as in , this error ends?) the TCM inside the PCM watches the clutch lock up and if RPM fails to drop, proper 740 barfs.
the ECU runs the TCC clutch directly so the manual ECU will not work ,and TCC will dead but can be hot wired manually with a switch.
the bodies are not the same, the fire walls are not the same A/T over M/T did you look that first, and the transmission tunnel pan openings next.?

The ECU I do not think the A'/T ecu goes to limphome mode for 740s, so ignore. that.
as far as the speedo is concerned , IDK, lots and lots of speed heads on this car like 50 of them all years. what can work best I do not know, lacking full car facts. (vin and all options)

the swap is only limited by body and frame mounts (missing) or wrong.
and electrical.
the wrong ECU on manual swap in will work. It DOES ON 95 YEAR, A/T ECU IN M/T CAR.
BUT 1998 IS OBD2 CAR, So only that matters.
I do not know how the OBD2 TCM knows the transmission is 3sp and not 4speed, and is same ECU. (PCM = ECU + TMC merged in 1997)
I guess it will thick the 5sp stick is 3speed auto.
and only show errors for TCC
the 4speed, has huge number of OBD2 errors, on shift points failing.

the ECU may see the clutch switch , and go, ok, M/T car. IDK

Sorry I assumed the 1998 2 door was 1.6L only...

Full details
Daily driver for swap: 1998 Chevrolet Tracker 1.6L, 3spd auto, 2 door, 4x4, base trim
Donor: 1998 Suzuki Sidekick 1.6L, 5 speed manual, 2 door, 4x4, base trim

I checked today and the firewall is the same on both, except rubber plugs were cables go on the auto, YAY! Trans tunnel I'm not 100% sure, a little fab here I am ok with. Cross members are the same.

I wonder if the clutch switch can be wired to the neutral/park switch in order to make sure car starts only when clutch pressed?

So the most important thing, A/T ECU will run with a manual swapped in?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1998 2 door 3 speed auto to 5 speed manual swap - by Perry - 04-14-2019, 07:57 AM