Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracker Complete J18 Swap with Caveats
Yeah, I knew the pilots were different sizes, and the clutches were different. Hence, the G16 bellhousing isn't going to work, which is fine, I need/want to use the Sport's transmission and xfer case anyway. Far less miles. The hydraulic clutch is a plus, in my book. Went through 3 cables on mine, bent the stupid clutch arm at the end of the pedal shaft each time too.

As far as spline count is concerned, I only care about output shaft spline count. I knew about the spline count change in 96. What I'm hoping to be able to do is essentially get the end of the xfer case to be in the location the xfer case would normally be in a regular 1.6 4WD Tracker. If I can manage, I should be able to use the driveshaft from a 96-98 4WD 1.6 Tracker, as that driveshaft would have the 30mm 16 spline yoke that would fit in the Sportage xfer case. And if I can manage to get the motor mounted in a good position, I can use the 4WD 1.6 Tracker driveshaft without modifying it. I don't know if that's possible, however.

Again, plan on using the Sportage wiring harness.... Like the ENTIRE wiring harness. So, splicing wires, other than potentially shortening/lengthening wires, I don't have to worry about tying it in with the Tracker's current harness. Still need to figure out how to get the cluster in and make it look good.

I am bummed about the suspension being too wide, but it's fine. A 1.6 Tracker front axle and spindle assembly can be had relatively cheaply. Hopefully the transmission with sit and end in the same place as a G16 transmission. If not, custom driveshaft it is. Anyway, I'll have to make some progress before I can really start figuring out what I'm getting into. If it's gonna be a ridiculous amount of modification, will probably sell the Sport and rebuild the 8V currently in it. The LSi isn't worth the trouble of putting in, nor worth the expense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tracker Complete J18 Swap with Caveats - by Rajire - 04-10-2019, 12:27 PM