Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracker Complete J18 Swap with Caveats
Effort required it is.

Eh, I'm not concerned with what it's worth. Like I said, the point isn't to make it worth more, it's just for sentimental reasons.

I always found the power to be somewhat lacking with the 8V. It's also pretty tired, as that engine and tranny have 260k miles on them.

I wasn't aware that the 96-98 Sports had a V6 offering.

Aye, the best engine that came in the pre-96 Trackers/Sidekicks was the 16v 1.6. But if I'm going to do an engine swap, it's more worth my effort to go through the trouble of installing an engine with 40 more HP than 15.

The suspension thing is kind of a bummer. I s'pose I'll have to look more into that.

I was hoping that the transmission used the same spline count and had about the same tailshaft length as the 1.6 4WD trans/xfer case. Could get away with using the 4WD Tracker driveshaft. I s'pose I'll have to see how extensive the modifications I'll have to make are. The Sport has a functioning A/C system, more power, 4WD, power steering (not that these really need it), etc.

If it's going to be an absolutely absurd amount of work to make the 1.8 fit, then yeah, I'll probably just keep the 8V and rebuild it. I would rather have the 1.8, however, and I don't mind making some modifications to make it work, so long as it doesn't require me to re-engineer the vehicle. I'm going to have it tore completely apart anyway.

Edit: It's also worth noting that my Tracker was in an accident at one time that bent the frame, and has had a new frame put under it, so it's value is already compromised. The body, engine, and trans are the only things original.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tracker Complete J18 Swap with Caveats - by Rajire - 04-06-2019, 12:03 PM