Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermostat seal issue 1997 Sidekick 1.6
Wow! Great Info. Who would have thought a simple thermostat could become so complicated....My stat (probably the original based on miles on car) was and is still functioning correctly. By my trying to be proactive, I have obviously damaged the original seal because I was just going to put new parts in to save labor at my mechanics (they will be doing timing belt water pump, etc. so I thought I'd do the "EASY" stuff - hoses and stat,radiatior flush, new cap, etc.) I have created my own nightmare.

I have rarely ever had to replace a thermostat in any of my vehicles -no need or done by someone else. My only experience has been with the gasket type. This "stock" stat was in the well snugger than dick's hat band! I had to gently pry it up (NOT by the seal but from the top of the stat). Imagine my surprise looking at this thing. My first thought was that black RTV or something had been used to keep the rubber ring on/in place and seal it. Having no experience and seeing that I had the incorect stat and seal in my hand, I had to put the old one back.....again no experience with this so tried to get it back in and had it at an angle like you showed in your picture. Literally went around the top of the thing with the butt end of a screwdriver and tapped/half pounded it back into place! It was checking the next day that I saw coolant seeping at the rear of the housing - bolts were tight so figures I screwed up the seal somehow. Now my nightmare.

Should it fit in that doggone tight? Also I don't recall seeing that little bleeder pin or whatever it's called on the old one but there is one on the stant. Is that an issue other than direction of placement?

My mechanic is hesitant about fooling with it if we do not have the EXACT matching parts. In other words, car will be stuck down there indefinitely if incorrect and can't find it/them.

I wish I had this thing out to measure but afraid of removing it again and not being able to put it back and make do until in the mechanics hands this coming Monday, April 1. It just does not look like the correct gasket (the felpro) even though I have compared comparable brands for the 56.5 mm stat.

Its not that I doubt you or the literature. I can only tell you what I see and have experienced.

I can take the old back out and take my chances but....my lack of experience may cause me to have a major fubar here. How tight does that fit in the well?

Why can't you use the gasket and the rubber ring? Just curious?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thermostat seal issue 1997 Sidekick 1.6 - by 3Waggintails - 03-28-2019, 01:58 PM