Login Register

Poll: Sand down sensor or drop oil pan?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sand sensor base to accommodate gasket
0%
0 0%
Drop oil pan and redo with only gasket sealer
100.00%
1 100.00%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying CKP sensor to work with oil pan gasket [96+]
did you ever post your CKP errors, P0335 was it?

i see someone voting on a hack and true fix, only you can sand a sensor to see if it works now or kills it, it is your $40 sensor , do to that, but I do know for a fact ID try it. (lacking Xray access like I used to have, I'd still try it)
there are vast makers of sensors, some may work stood off that far , only trying them all at great cost answers that and can change in the next batch of sensor to fail (natural mfg variances)
the battery cables are bad or the top bolt on the starter battery cable is loose, such and easy fix all this, new cables or clean and tight 4 ends? toss coin or do it.

The ECU is very complex device, for sure OBD2 rules did you read the page in the FSM first on 335s?
the chapter 3 shows all facts on 335, the 1 in 20 rule, if the CPK pulse is lost 1 time on 20 crank spins or is it teeth, I bet teeth. yes pulse = teeth,
The ECU will show this error fast.
a dead CKP sets 335 fast. id say in 1 instant bam 335., but engine may need to be warm.
and 335 self clears after 40 (not a typo) start engine warm ups. over 150f is warm. so the book says....

this is no hall sensor,it has only 2 wires, and is 360 to 460 ohm coil, inside,(factory sensor spec) and the signals are very weak. just tiny 1v signals and the cable has a shield if the shield is damaged in any way the signal will fail to reach the ECU, the ECU has a special amplifier there to make this signal larger to trigger the logic in the ECU. (called a zero crossing detector)

so getting that coil sensor closer to the tone wheel spikes is a wise choice. how you do that is yOUR CALL. Suzuki built that engine and ran 20 years with no CKP errors so the answer is obvious to me. what is wrong, the signals are weak. or even dead.

page 36 shows these facts (well some)
https://web.archive.org/web/201011191114...t3-pdf.htm

how long, well you can test that any time you want
start engine, get it warm, then unplug the CKP connector (see that long) easy no? i think the answer is as fast as you can run to the steering wheel and look.
called OBD2 catastrophic error class (instant)
P0300's can take 3 trips to see em' (misfire)
but not CKP dead, it's 1 second I think. (1 in 20 pulses lost it sets) but may clear faster. (millisecond sure)
most cars made if CKP dies spark and injections end in seconds. (instant) but not this car, it's unique in this very special way.

sand away it is your sensor, if it was my car id have sanded it long ago. (not ever wanting to pull the pan a 2nd time) $40 or 10 yours labor, hmmmmmmmmmmmm no brainer to me. (time or labor the endless conundrum of life)

this is all faraday's laws here, electomagnet, the coil inside is very simple. and closer is better.
all equation elements are fixed, just distance and the magnetic flux density changes by distance, all you can do is change distance. (gap)
this simple math page covers this.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hba...arlaw.html

and RPM or pulse rate effects are here. (v = velocity) changes voltage. but 800rpm is a given.
In physics (specifically in electromagnetism) the Lorentz force (or electromagnetic force) is the combination of electric and magnetic force on a point charge due to electromagnetic fields.
A particle of charge q moving with a velocity v in an electric field E and a magnetic field B experiences a force of

F = q E + q v × B {\displaystyle \mathbf {F} =q\mathbf {E} +q\mathbf {v} \times \mathbf {B} } {\mathbf {F}}=q{\mathbf {E}}+q{\mathbf {v}}\times {\mathbf {B}}

so yes, gap less more Voltage more force. EMF

there is no fluke, the signal good , the signal is bad or the signal is intermittent the ECU does not lie to you its real, in all cases.
if it pulse is missing 1 in 20 it fails. and the #1 reason is , putting pan gasket where there must be none is the cause, (all other things cured first, wires bad, sesnor damaged)
you already know that ! I hope....
the tone wheel can be damaged. teeth missing or bent is common on this car.
the keyway on the crank damaged and that makes the tone wheel wobble and will set 335 codes (17mm pulley bolt loose endless on this car)
there are in fact lots of ways to fail for 335.
bad tone wheel code (unified)
bad crank end snout damage and or the key and key way. wrecked.
bad belt, it flops around and drives the ECU nuts due to gross illegal variances in the pulses.
the sensor is bad.
the pan gasket is there. and must not be so. (the FSM is clear on that and is not myth or rumor it is a fact)
seen even very cracked cam main clog wheel make CKP act up (and it jogs)
jogging means illegal movement of the cam, crank, belt or cogs or the tone wheel. (jitter and jog)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modifying CKP sensor to work with oil pan gasket [96+] - by fixkick - 02-26-2019, 02:10 AM