Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery hub???
Hello!
I have been fighting a problem for waaay too long. Partially due to my lack of time to work on my car and partially due to weirdness of parts and poor information.
My gut is telling me I will find more knowledge here than where I have been previously looking.
Here is the story......
My 93 Tracker (4WD) started making a terrible front wheel bearing noise. I parked it, then ordered up the parts (bearing set and wheel seals).
Found out it was a little different than other front wheel bearings I had done in the past (1 large race for 2 bearings) and would need to be pressed out. No problem...I call up a friend who has a hydraulic press to help me with this part.
Something goes wrong and he ends up breaking one of the ears off the hub! No worries, just get a new hub, right? Not so easy, it seems! I end up searching for a good used hub and end up buying one from a local guy who specializes in parting out Trackers and Sidekicks.
I get my new hub and start cleaning it up to put the new bearings in. First thing I notice is this hub uses 2 separate bearing races! I ask about this and told "your old hub was aftermarket, this one is OEM". I ask the guy I bought it from if he has any that use the 1-piece race and he tells me all the ones he has are the same as what he sent me.
With a little more research I come to find that my bearings will work and I just need different races. Thanks to the internet, I am able to identify and order just the bearing races that I need. Success!!
Now I am down to the seals. I notice my old hub uses and inner seal and a thin "outer" seal (still on the inboard side of the hub). My new hub does not have the machined surface to accommodate this thin outer seal. Maybe not a big deal.
So, I go to install my inner seal and it seems a little big. I get out my caliper and it is .050" larger than the ID of my hub. That seems like an awful lot! ID of the hub is 2.675". Wheel seal I am using is part # 710239.
I ask about this and the only response I get is "there is a special tool to install wheel seals". I am already aware of this (not my first rodeo).
Now, here I am with a hub, bearings installed, and not sure what wheel seal to use??
Not sure what this hub came off of, exactly.
I would greatly appreciate any insight!!!
Thanks Smile
Chris

Messages In This Thread
Mystery hub??? - by Greenacarina - 02-22-2019, 07:44 AM
RE: Mystery hub??? - by fixkick - 02-22-2019, 09:29 AM
RE: Mystery hub??? - by fixkick - 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM
RE: Mystery hub??? - by Greenacarina - 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM
RE: Mystery hub??? - by fixkick - 02-22-2019, 10:42 AM
RE: Mystery hub??? - by fixkick - 02-22-2019, 10:47 AM