Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Engine with Compression and Oil Issues
When I rebuilt my 1.6 8v it ran better after break in but I wasn't really impressed.

I drove it to Tillamook Oregon for a Suzuki meet, did trails all weekend.again more power than the original engine but not what I expected. (I never checked compression after the first week)
Anyways about a month after the rebuild my.boys car quit. So I took his car to fix and he drove my samurai.

Two weeks later he returned the samurai. My wife took it to the store and asked "what did you do to b the zook" I said nothing at all just got but back from b the boy. She replied "whatever he did it's scary fast now, seriously be careful"

Indeed after he returned the samurai the power and torque seemed to have doubled.

What I learned.
My boy had daily driven the 1.6 and gone to his girlfriend every day. This includes several freeway merges a day. Huge was also driving it up some serious hills off road. Lots of high.load sustained RPM driving.

I Myself after a, short break in was not using the 1.6 on road. Being geared ultra low I had.no reason to run high RPM, or put a high load on the newly sealing engine.

It's common for these 1.6 engines to a long time to steal up. We could not find any rings that were not chromoly. The combination of chromoly rings and a hard durable block makes for a long break in..

We actually had a local member here sell his entire samurai because he couldn't get the rings sealed after three ring jobs and another hone. The man he sold it to drove it home via white pass(steep winding 200min drive). By the time he got home the engine was way up in power, compression was good, and ok consumption gone.

Sorry it took a book for me to explain, however the length of time and miles to properly break in a 1.6 can't be underdressed. Some engines can seem to be breaking in forever.

It is however worth the wait. A good running fully sealed fresh 1.6 should impress. I know mine out a smile on my face for days

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Engine with Compression and Oil Issues - by Zook.dawg - 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM