Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a question about shifter bushing repair
Thank you, that really clears things up. I took a look, and it seems that I accidentally installed the bushing upside down the first time I did it..maybe that could have caused the oil to leak in there?
Anyways, Eeerything is shifting much more smoothy now.

(12-18-2018, 09:46 AM)fixkick Wrote: OK
step one is drop 27 into hole 30 (geased up) #27 needs to be new, and is sold only by suzuki for about $5
then 19 part next
2x 36 screws half installed
the top cup is a twist lock cup, some can force down, and twist lock it
I find pushing it down and inserting 2x 36 screws while holding down is easier.
if he spring is not broken IT IS OK.

seen here PDF FSM, page 18, 7B18, install... steps. chapter 7B covers this tranny, see photo below excerpted
https://web.archive.org/web/201011190802...7B-pdf.htm

(12-18-2018, 08:04 AM)sina27 Wrote: Hello there, got a 96 tracker 2WD.
Shifter was making funny noises, hard to get in certain gears. (27 is bad)
When installing the new shifter bushing (part 27), do I just drop it in? yes,
Or do I have to install it on the ball end of the shifter stick? (no)
My shifter has an intact spring and cup.
But, if the spring is weak, (NO it is not) I'm assuming there wouldn't be enough force pressing down on the shifter onto / into the bottom shifter bushing? (the force is huge, after its installed you will yell, dang that spring is strong. I promise)

Unless the two side screws are meant for securing in the shifter? (they do nothing else)
The FixKick page has an in depth explanation for how to remove the stick shift, but no mention on how to correctly install the bushing and shifter.
I'm still curious if the two side screws (36) need to be loosened up, and when do I tighten them back up? When I press the shifter back in and tighten the cup, is that when I should tighten the screws to secure the shifter and entirety in place?

Thank You for all the help

One more question:
When I initially removed the shifter and bushing, I noticed gear oil around the bottom of the bushing.
Is that normal? NO, not normal some folks think that can refill GL4 lube here, and is impossible, so we clean that out and used grease.
When reassembling all the components, should I use some assembly lube?

[Image: kick-shifter-all.JPG]

Suzuki uses one line of text, #1, (its hard to compress it and turn it like this) but if you look like BIG FOOT, it's kids play, LOL!@

[Image: 3_17_12_18_5_46_25.jpeg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have a question about shifter bushing repair - by sina27 - 12-18-2018, 01:03 PM