Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start
(12-09-2018, 02:39 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 11:00 PM)thebanjoman Wrote:
(12-08-2018, 09:44 PM)fixkick Wrote: the odd running can be also
iSC speed control jammed, gummed up
EGR jammed open same reasons but will have no power near idle.
does engine have full power once it hits 180F coolant?
2500 hot? rpm, ISC dead, or ECU in limphome, mode. with full power????
98 ECU is very different, and only works with 98 injectors,for sure.
no scans and dead comm port is not good; others have complained about lack of comms for years, on SPORTS only, and was found there tools did not do all OBD2 com ports as all new tools do.
pin 2 and 10
some tools do only pin 7. comm levels.
a good tool does all 4 ways. (4th is CAN bus , last added)

seen many car with DLC pin 16 wire cut (power) for the owner DIY some accessories, (vast) for stealing power, to worst of all autostarts. or added cruise or added stereo AMPs etc. (hacks)
make sure the DLC hardness wires look ok. at dash lower edge.

yes do hope you hack is TCM neutral safety switch bypass and not worse.

Thank you, this is AMAZING feedback. I need to get this one in my shop, I'm parting out my 97 and its 18 degrees outside this morning and don't want to be messing with it outside.. Too many projects. '92 Samurai, a 1929 Model A Ford, and the parting out '97, plus the new '98 all in 900 sq foot. Can't sling a dead cat without hitting something.

Know the '98 auto is a bit different with the PCM but its in really good shape for a 20 yr old vehicle. You don't see them like this in the rust belt.

Guy I got it from wasn't much of a mechanic just a parts swapper and not a good diagnoser, I have seen from the parts in the back that he did swap injectors and coil packs and said the previous owner did the switch mess.

So first order of this is to undo the switch mess and try to get ti back to stock and start from there. Your details will certainly help.

This J18 has 240K on it. I have a 73K J23 sitting here that I want to put in it. I know the CCs are greater but it ran perfectly in my '97 with just a long block swap, keeping the rest. It's been done on 5spds alot. Auto shouldn't be too awful hard to make work also.

i want your 29' ford, love them,. my grand-dad had one, was blast to drive . brakes converted first. 3million still on the road, (amazing no>?)
no I agree, the 98 can run, not saying it is a pig only rare good car.
the j20 is stroked 18, and most parts the same but not crank.

I'd buy J18 too if found rust free, nice find for sure.!
The compression good, it will run good soon.
fluids good, brakes good, hoses , belts ok.
engine runs, (yes) cool.
does it reach 180f and hold? (not float tempr. like mad, low .high , low, repeat) if yes this has 2 causes, unique to just this car.
does it have full power even though the idle is fubar.?
my buds j18 we scanned it with 5 of my scan tools only the newest tool worked.
when it scanned we got P0400 EGR and it was dirty, (motor controlled EGR easy to clean)

good luck to you and ouch 18 degr.

I love the Torque android phone app, If could find a decent scanner that would work with would read my new '98 it I'd upgrade, I know of a friend with a '97 sport auto that his scanner would not work, but he took it to AutoZone and they could read the codes so that is certainly understandable that all ODBII readers not the same. I will continue to look for other options for scanning. As the vehicle is not tagged yet, I just got it last weekend. I flew out and drove 1100 miles back home with it on a tow dolly. Given the lack of driving ability yet I can't get it to a place to pull codes (Chicken/egg kind of thing) and I don't have a friend with a scanner that might be able to read it. I'm looking at 'bluedriver' and checking the reviews instead of a $14 clone.

Yep, the '29 is actually my Wifes.. She inherited it from her Father, She rode on the running board as a kid home from the top of her street when her Dad came home from work. It's been in the family since the 50s.. I'm completing a frame off, now on the wood bows for the roof. Lot of work.

My '97 has black carpet, panels and the '98 has gray, I HATE the gray so I'll be swapping all the parts over to black and it will give me a good chance to see every aspect of the floor. It looks good but the carpet is toast and my black is better.

I will eventually repaint it at some point as the usual clear coat is trash but this one is worthy of getting paint. My other one was 'Rustoleum black rattle can' worthy.

Cutting up and parting out the '97 soon to get the '98 in to work where it's warm.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start - by thebanjoman - 12-09-2018, 04:14 AM
RE: 1998 sidekick sport j18 hacked - by fixkick - 12-15-2018, 12:59 AM