Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start
welcome
j18 sport, 1.8liters DOHC (4speed automatic) a very rare car, 10,000 made total> tiny. only seen 1, ever, my buddy's
first off the PCM are not the same, nor injectors. 96,97,98 (in 97 TCM moved inside the ECU and renamed ECU to PCM)
the scan tool needs power, at the power jack pin16 ( check this pin, key on, I bet it is dead, and why comms fail.) white wire cut there.
I do not have the fuse wiring on 97. but is at alldata.com
i bet the fuse for that is blown, (usually the comm port does not die at Odb2)
see my running list of changes on this car, amazing ,changes.
http://fixkick.com/one-point-eight.html

the injectors in 1998 have the ignitor module on the fire wall deleted and all 4 transistors inside moved to the COP coils inside,(so new injectors 98)
the bad starting, could lots of things even bad fuel.
bad spark plugs.
ECU dead fix first, see if ECU is in limphome mode with dead sensor, caused.

books online
https://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/

mitchels. $20
http://www.eautorepair.net/Marketing/Default.asp
and all this, for sure check all fuses first.
ok fuse 11 is blown to DLC pin 16 (wire color,white) 15amp. spec.but this fuse also kill power to ECU via main relay.
Electronic fuel injection system, A/T control system, Meter and gauge, Headlight, Clearance, Side maker, Tail
and license plate light, Room light, Heater and air conditioning, Warning control system, Radio, Data link
connector (DLC) / Diagnosis connector, Anti-lock brake system, Cruise control system, Cigarette lighter, Clock

(12-08-2018, 03:54 PM)thebanjoman Wrote: Picked up a fairly rust free 98 Sport Auto from Oklahoma and transported it to Virginia. Some issues.

1. Push button switch installed for starting. Got to fix it properly.

2 Wont stay running when started. Have to feather pedal until thermostat opens up, it eventually stays running but at around 2500 rpms..

3. ODBII port not working, my Torque App on phone won't see it. Have a '97 sport that has to be parted for rusty frame , ODBII worked with it so I know my reader is fine. Works on other vehicles.

Push button is probably because neutral safety switch went bad, more likely than keyswitch but have to test. Have to pull that mess apart and sort out the real issue. shouldn't be too hard. If it is the ignition switch the one out of my 97 should do the trick.

Won't stay running is bigger issue, Looks like parts where 'shotgunned' without diagnosing the real issues. Pick them apart.

ODBII no dome light so have to start checking fuses under the dash and see if thats the reason.

I have a 97 wiring diagram manual. Hopefully it will be close enough and I wont have to find a 98. These are expensive.

The vehicle has one rust spot behind left rear wheel and its just a dirty vehicle but it should be a keeper.

warning some scan tools do not work on all 3 years of SPORTS, we know they changed protocals 3 times then. pain it is.
but new scanners always do them all,

the 97 DLC at lower dash edge uses pin 10 (and ground )_ to talk to the OBD2, tool if this pin is empty on your tool , scan will fail.
wire color V/G on car.
some scan tools only do pins 2 and 7 data lines
pin 10 is SAE J1850 Line (Bus -) my guess air bags /abs?
pin 2 and 3, also , this may be scan tool PCM lines

here are all pins (no CANBUS 1996/7/8)
old scan tools do not support all these.

PIN 1 - Manufacturers discretion
PIN 2 - SAE J1850 Line (Bus +) * book on the car tells me this j1850 is used for scanning,PCM.
PIN 3 - Manufacturers discretion
PIN 4 - Chassis Ground
PIN 5 - Signal Ground
PIN 6 - SAE J2284 (CAN High) *
PIN 7 - K Line of ISO 9141-2 & ISO/DIS 4230-4*
PIN 8 - Manufacturers discretion
PIN 9 - Manufacturers discretion
PIN 10 - SAE J1850 Line (Bus -) * (yours)
PIN 11 - Manufacturers discretion
PIN 12 - Manufacturers discretion
PIN 13 - Manufacturers discretion
PIN 14 - SAE J2284 (CAN Low) *
PIN 15 - L Line of ISO 9141-2 & ISO/DIS 4230-4*
PIN 16 - Unswitched Vehicle Battery Positive

suzuki for some lame reasons markes pin 16 as one, this is dead wrong, but colors will be right. 16 for sure is power. that the scan tool needs to run.
ok on 2nd throught the pins may be 2 and 3 for comms
and pin 10 is airbags./or ABS. not sure.
97/98 , shows the ecu moving to 97 car. here. and now PCM.
[Image: 3_08_12_18_5_15_22.jpeg]
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1998 sidekick sport auto - no key start - push button start - by fixkick - 12-08-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: 1998 sidekick sport j18 hacked - by fixkick - 12-15-2018, 12:59 AM