Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
89 Tracker Over-revving on start up
(10-08-2019, 01:28 AM)WizBang   89 Tracker (8V manual 4x4 2 Dr) Wrote: Sorry.  After a long winter's nap I'm back at trying to fix this problem.  (Tracker only gets used during the hunting season and for pushing snow)

Checked Dash-Pot and, although a bit sticky on initial release, it opens with vacuum and holds the vacuum.

So I replaced all of my 1/8" ID vacuum tubing with new.  On start-up I had the same over-revving issue.

Pulled vac hose between EGR modulator and dash-pot and it had a lot of carbon coffee grounds in it that may have affected vacuum, but I suspect not.  Blew them out.
Decided to pull dash-pot (which I had removed, and repainted last year before the problem started ...hint...hint) and immediately noticed that the two bolts weren't very tight.  Hmmm......  I suspect this is my problem.  I used hi-temp gasket sealer when I put it back on, lightly tightened the bolts, and likely forgot to re-tighten the bolts after it had cured.  The leakage here would make perfect sense in explaining my over-revving issue on start-up.  Also curious to see if it addresses my 1800rpm idle, hot!

Wondering what sheet gasket material to buy for doing the job properly this time??

tsure what you mean by dash pot the DP has no direct vacuum to TB, at all it is just bracket only. and vacuum nipple that can leak. no gaskets here.

the DP is that device on 8v that  openss the throttle cold started for 3 to 15 seconds, then release and the shift on the PD plugger retracts from the throttle valve and has and air gap there running at all times (not first startup)
the only gasket-ed device that can leak vacuum (easy fix, not hard intake man)
iS EGR MAIN. (and all hoses sure) the hoses can  be pinched to find if any hose leaks or and device an the end leaks. when engine races too fast..
The egr runs supper hot  cruising (exhaust) and can easily wreck any simple paper gasket, here

[Image: 89-vacl-map1.jpg]

Even sludge under the TV plate can case fast idle.  so force  it closed by hand hard, if it moves and idle speed drops the cable is too tight or the TV is blocked.
when the EGR hot gasses hit the PCV Gas cloud under the TB that makes sludge.
the PCV valve can stick open or be wrong valve for 1.6Liter. and cause fast idle. (leaks vacuum) or worse a cracked hose.

no AT modulator to leak it  is a MT 5speed.
no extra  TB gasket to leak no AT mean no TB base heater.
so the air vacuum leaks are only gaskets. and hoses on this car. and 2 devices with diaphragms.  and 2 VSV valves not cracked or stuck open.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
89 Tracker Over-revving on start up - by WizBang - 12-06-2018, 07:40 AM
RE: 89 Tracker Over-revving on start up - by fixkick - 10-08-2019, 02:44 AM