Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater fan Motor
1996 4x4 Tracker 2 door w/ac Any tips, tricks or any advice on how to remove Fan motor. winter's coming. It barely spins on high fan setting after I tap on blower motor. thanks
here is slide show we made
heater core pull or motor inside

http://www.fixkick.com/Cooling-engine/he...age_2.html

1A13
https://web.archive.org/web/201011190806...1a-pdf.htm

see this guys core pull.

http://www.fixkick.com/Cooling-engine/he...index.html

it has 3 screws (#6), it goes down but my not just come out easy
never had one go bad

[Image: resistor1.JPG]
http://www.fixkick.com
Hello,
For a 96 2WD model, is the resistor located under the passenger dash?
I hear some weird static ticking noises when I'm driving.
The noise is very static, and randomly starts up - it is either coming from under the glove box or from the front right side of the car.
The ticking usually happens after the car is warm, and it does not fluctuate with RPM.
Sometimes, there is no ticking, and as soon as I press lightly on the gas, I hear the ticking start right back up.
It is kind of loud, and it does not sound mechanical.
Could a bad heater blower resistor be the cause?
piggy backed poster, ok. but>?> what car is it? exactly. ok we now know that.
the bad resistor is real and is bad, and if not loose on its screws will not make noise.
is the noise only present with blower on (unstated and you show blower concerns )?????
seem not engine itself not making the racket,
why say its not mechanical, when it is, that, even a relay clicking is 90% mechanical (look inside one see that)
but fast RPM causes to start up , the noise but RPM frequency is not related to the ticking noise frequency rate. (that is very good evidence)
yes this car in USA has a relay bank now fitted to the right side of the blower housing behind the glove box (RIGHT SIDE USA) and those relays can tick, no they are not supposed to except KEY ON time.
if the blower is packed in leaves and mice nests the blower will make noises turned on but not off. This car has no AC, so junk any junk even hornet nest can go down the top cowl vents, below wipers and to the air pipe top right side is a thing called a coffer dam to keep water out, and inside this pipe, junks FALLS there, and to the heater core or all points from there to the dam up top. that is the path I see full of junk all the time. and can make noises.
one more test, try all setting lever locations on the heater controls see if one allows noise to happen , both fan on and off. (blower)

In the USA we have left hand drive, and the heater is on the right side, passenger side, In UK the opposite is try (vitara RHD)
IS/ was the blower turned on? and blowing with the NOISE PRESENT?
redux 1,
2wd 2door, no AC, with 5speed, no autolock doors or windows elect.
how to remove blower motor mutates to only noises.

Noise diagnose is not easy, after all there are 3000 parts that can fail or get loose
what matters only is location and is as yet unknown
it some times makes noise parked,
engine running only yes , (i guess)
is blower fan on or off, when noise happens (unknown yet)
gears in neutral and foot off clutch pedal ever set free play on the pedal, if not the throw out bearing goes bad and makes noise. The clutch will fail if freeplay is not MAINTAINED.
we know now (at least) it is not a car moving failure for these parts, transmission gear, ujoints , well bearings, brakes, or axles bad nor suspension bad,, at all none of that bad.
we dont even know if it is in the cab or outside noise, like cracked tins on the CAT shields. (and only make noises at odd RPM's)

Nor if dash noises,? proven using tests to prove that, best done by 2 persons but one is ok parked, but moving takes 2 or huge safety risk, testing alone, oK?
Gear shifter rattle>?
or air vent flapper adjusts bad and making noise, as many do this old
most cars this old have many noise makers, for lots of reasons, even things (parts) put back in the dash wrong, or loose or not clamped down or screws loose or missing, 3000 parts in the car and huge potentials for noise.

so location is unknown, lacking that key fact it would be very hard to find source
I use a rubber hose to my ear as 2nd person, not driving but me with hose finding if noise is under dash. free of cost if spare hose laying about.

end redux 1.
Oops! The car is in the USA. 2 door, 2wd, 5 speed stick shift. No AC, no power windows. It is hard to get somone to locate the sound, because the sound is heard almost always when the car is moving at lower RPMS. Only once or twice did I hear the same sound when the car was idling and I was parked, and that is rare, so it is hard for me to see where it is coming from. Not sure if it is the speedometer cable, because of the rare occasion I've heard it when the car is parked.
As far as the heater resistor, I was suspicious of that because only the 3rd and 4th heater fan setting blow air. The first two (low speed fan) do not work.

If the problem is the ECU, should I start at looking at relays under the glove box?
is the heater blower off or on with noise present?
first off noises can be easy to find and some dangerous and very hard to find (out side cab is that)
the most key fact of all is the noise with car not moving. (this fact alone removes vast sources of noise, transmission, u-joint, and axles , and brakes and suspension parts)
the transmission gears are off the hook for guilty. but not the shift lever.( and part #27 inside)
its not the speedo cable, it's not turning, parked. (so is is NOT IT)
i guess the noise only happens engine running. even some times in neutral.(rare but is a KEY FACTOR)
i bet 1/2 these old cars all have bad heater resistor, and I bet lots of other things bad too, with the owner not knowing it, bad hoses and belts, and more (missing parts).
so the association of that simple resistor to noise, I can not fathom how it can make noise unless the mounting screws to it are very loose. (glove box off bingo?)
noise has many causes. more on noise here.
http://www.fixkick.com/NOISE.html

Location is really all that maters, after all you are not going to replace all parts in the car, all 3000 just to find it,or tighten every screw and replace all missing hard to find plastic Suzuki rivets to cure it. I bet not.

This noise seems to me to be harmless, after all car was not moving when the same noise happened, regardless of rarity, you know the noise is harmless.
One other way to find noise in a CAB ,
if not sure, (open the windows on the car next time noise happens , to see if the noise gets loader? or seems to be outside.
Even open the doors, and listen.
To find CAB noise one method is to just push on things, push all things in reach to see if the noise stops. even rest hand on the gear shift now, press the console, push on dash.
if the sound changes or ends, bingo.
I can not hear your noise but I seems to be as CAB noise.
My guess is it is pure mechanical noise, (unless relays click or that silly steering column beeper makes noise) it would be mechanical (all accessories off too is test, heater too)

if the noise only happen with the heater blower on, well that be super obvious. no?

even here , the fan can have objects that do not belong here (no AC means no AC core, means more access to critters)
http://www.fixkick.com/Cooling-engine/he...ge_24.html

with the engine idling it can shake, and the parts that go trough the fire wall, speedo cable.
and all things that pass through the fire wall shake too and if the grommet there is missing or damage, it can make noise
or allow things in the dash to shake and make nose, (endless list or parts in dash,

as this clearly shows. all the shakers and movers, endless.
critters and leaves can land here.
http://www.fixkick.com/Cooling-engine/he...ge_23.html

Quote: The car is in the USA. 2 door, 2wd, 5 speed stick shift.
No AC, no power windows.
It is hard to get someone to locate the sound, because the sound is heard almost always when the car is moving at lower RPMS.
Only once or twice did I hear the same sound when the car was idling and I was parked, and that is rare, so it is hard for me to see where it is coming from.
Not sure if it is the speedometer cable, because of the rare occasion I've heard it when the car is parked.
As far as the heater resistor, I was suspicious of that because only the 3rd and 4th heater fan setting blow air. '
The first two (low speed fan) do not work.

If the problem is the ECU, should I start at looking at relays under the glove box? (looking will do nothing here , but listening, will and for sure using a hose to ear or $5 mechanics stethoscope will work, but that is all about locations, really any of the 100 odd parts under the dash can make noise if 1 is loose, or not seated in the clips correctly.

if the problem is electric, it will get worse, for sure chattering relays or VSV valve of any kind,

if this car didnt make noise ,i be more amazed, it is old car.
even the vents flappers bad can rattle. the list is near endless but if not moving and noise happens, say 1/2 the parts on car are not suspect.
I'm pretty sure you have cab noises, but only idling, in 5speed neutral. (that is minimalists fact) sure it makes more noise moving with more vibrations. and road shock.
but does it make noise fan blower heater off? ever, it takes time and lots of work to find noises.
but I'd have my hands pressing everything possible inside cab to find it, even opening doors to see if noise gets louder. oops the license plate rattles? (louder with rear hatch open?)

4 cylinder engines all shake (v12 not), (unless fancy with balancer counter shaft in the block we don't have)
This engine will make other parts on the car make noise of those parts are damage or loose. (even exhaust parts,can make noise parked)
or cab noises. the engine is the instigator not the reason.
test for noise with window open? (ah it's louder out side, yes,or my passenger did the same windows down and see yes, it is louder outside)
in the summer drive with rag top off? to see if noises are outside car?

all this ,is about is , location, which of 3000 parts is making noise
I have 4 channel electronic stethoscope that has 4 microphone clips and i can find noise out side a car with zero risk to the driver, a very powerful tool.
you heard the noise parked so now you know what it is not. for sure. (all those things not moving are not it)
my guess is in short time only 2 persons can find your noise. not one driving.
is the blower blowing when noise happens, ? on or off or both ways?
sure the blower resistor is bad, if lucky, if not lucky switch is bad,$$$$ but they make no noise is the screws are tight,.
drive with windows down, and you and helper listen more carefully for noise source.???? location?
if it makes noise parked, why not leave car and open hood, even walk around car and listen. (or the shot gun guy)
did the noise (rare parked) hold so you can exit car? y/n? all this matters, to find it,
if the car is parked and you can force the noise with right foot pedal, let person 2 look under hood, and go gee the fan belt is loose.? and makes a rACKET.
if first try to learn now to force the noise, and if can, find location that way, there is no saver way than parked !!!

my best guess is engine makes noise, or cab parts do. (so inside outside location is still unknown)
parked, noises prove that, (except clutch noise, it can make noises any time it wants running (bad)
some noises are harmless, like loose parts in the dash,
others are sign of something important failing (like rod bearings) to get worse failures, and doom,and more costs.
or when driving wheel bearings failing....or brakes about to fail.
the noises to me are heads up, warning, for sure on old cars. (all machines really)