Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head gasket 96 Tracker
My 96 Tracker started having issues yesterday. Thinking it has a blown head gasket. It has 98K miles and has led and easy life. I drove it to work yesterday and it ran fine but when I shut it off it started blowing antifreeze back in the over flow tank. It never got hot, no oil in antifreeze or antifreeze in oil. Not burning any antifreeze that I can see, it doesn't get hot while driving, just when you shut the engine off after driving it , it pukes antifreeze . The temp gauge is running in its normal spot. Could it be anything else besides a blown gasket or cracked head. It has never over heated since I have had it.[/size]
that overflow tank is the early warming, after all if it gets worse you can warp the head. Early detection is win ! for sure, and you are smart to catch it early good bird dog'ing you car !!
Bad gasket on the rad cap, might do that if it split that rubber seal there.(in cap)
Running pure water not 50% antifreeze will do this.

but the 3 tests are,
RAD pressure test (gauag)
and
the blue /green die test in the rad (detects exhaust gas on the coolant)
compression test all 4, all read like 180psi . sealevel, wide open throttle test, about. never closed throttle.

signs"??
violent overflow tank effects.
misfiring.
steam out of end of tail pipe on hot engine , warm day.
coolant turns black. or see carbon chunks the coolant.
adding coolant every day, (cold engine , cap of RAD look down neck, oops were is my coolant?
oil in coolant, floating or balls for oil floating.
water in OIL oil , in pan or dip stick looks milky.
water flying of side of head. (radical warping of head) (head block juncture,(gasket seen to leak)

good luck to you !!!

(09-17-2018, 02:33 PM)blackoak Wrote: My 96 Tracker started having issues yesterday. Thinking it has a blown head gasket. It has 98K miles and has led and easy life. I drove it to work yesterday and it ran fine but when I shut it off it started blowing antifreeze back in the over flow tank. It never got hot, no oil in antifreeze or antifreeze in oil. Not burning any antifreeze that I can see, it doesn't get hot while driving, just when you shut the engine off after driving it , it pukes antifreeze . The temp gauge is running in its normal spot. Could it be anything else besides a blown gasket or cracked head. It has never over heated since I have had it.[/size]
http://www.fixkick.com
The seal in my rad cap is not in the best shape and the antifreeze is no where near 50-50. May try a new cap and add some antifreeze and see what happens. Probably do a compression test to. If it is a blown gasket you ever have any luck with the fix in a bottle you just pour in and your troubles are gone forever and life is good again?
(09-18-2018, 11:32 AM)blackoak Wrote: The seal in my rad cap is not in the best shape and the antifreeze is no where near 50-50. May try a new cap and add some antifreeze and see what happens. Probably do a compression test to. If it is a blown gasket you ever have any luck with the fix in a bottle you just pour in and your troubles are gone forever and life is good again?

never seen any bottle ever fix anything, not me
but "bars leaks" works, if say 1000 miles from home,
but loves to clog RAD cores too. but is better that huge bill far from home.

Every time the engine starts the head and block expand.
this will cause a bad head gasket to fail faster.

the correct path is never go to far from home , and best of all dont drive, it, until the tests are done.
after all you can crack the head or block if you overheat it. what if you warp the block top deck?

what happens here, is the combustion gases , leak past the seal (gasket) into the water jacket holes there, (large) and puts gasses there, and will be seen first in the recovery AF bottle.
If try that is a very bad sign and means don't drive it;.
if water lands in the oil then, the crank will be wrecked, rod bearings first, rear first, hottest one.

good luck , hope you save it from more damage.
http://www.fixkick.com