Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Condenser Fan not coming on
I have searched for and read a lot of information pertaining to this subject, but I am not able to solve my problem. The condenser fan will not engage at all. I just replaced the compressor, receiver drier, thermal expansion valve, o-rings, retro-fitted for R134a, pulled a vacuum, recharged system and AC system kicks on and runs great blowing cold air. Here are things I have checked:

AC fuse at relay location is fine. 12v+ on all red wires
If I unplug the high engine temp sensor, it shuts down compressor. Leading me to think it's working properly.
I get 12v on Yellow and Green at the Hi/Low switch.
Compressor works fine.
Swapped compressor and condenser fan relays and compressor works on both relays; leading me to think relay is not the issue.
Removed relay and jumped power from Red to Black/Blue, fan works great.
Readings at fan relay plug with relay connected: Red - 12v, Yellow - 12v, Blue/Red - 12v, Black/Blue - 0v.

I am assuming I have an issue with the AMP? Since the Blue/Red is reading 12v and not ~0v? Again, everything else seems to work flawlessly. Is the fan not supposed to run constantly? Even when the engine is warmed up and hot, the condenser fan will not engage...
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

As signature states, this is on a 1992 Geo Tracker, 8v.
1992 Geo Tracker 5 speed 4x4 soft top, 8v with power steering and A/C
redux 1:
my guess is outside is hot, how hot, I'm in texas are you in, 34F in BARROW Alaska in July happens.
my guess , but you said it blows cold
but guess unsaid is not parked is it properly cool, ! only moving car fast AC is at spec, fan off even. lots of air there at 60mph, on newer cars they save gasoline doing that trick,
then you find the fan dead in front of condenser, well it sure can be at 34f outside> AMP makes this decision only.
The RELAY data shows the fAN turned on, for sure. so....

what are the symptoms, bad, ? what doesnt it right..../

do you need the AC chart, in the book the book is free to read.?
http://www.fixkick.com
post out door temps?
then what it does wrong.?
parked or moving fast, or in all modes of car use , does the AC fall short someway?

if the AC get weak, at red lights in say Dallas, and the Condenser fan is dad, bingo fan or its relay bad. or fuse.
(07-31-2018, 06:14 AM)fixkick Wrote: post out door temps?
then what it does wrong.?
parked or moving fast, or in all modes of car use , does the AC fall short someway?

if the AC get weak, at red lights in say Dallas, and the Condenser fan is dad, bingo fan or its relay bad. or fuse.

It's in the 90's right now. This is all doing work sitting in my shop though.
It is not a typo, the AC works great except the condenser fan does not come on. I guess I was under the assumption that the condenser fan runs constantly? Am I wrong on this assumption?
hot wire that fan yet?
its just 12v fan,
if fan is dead, AC blow air cold driving fast, but not at stop signs, summer, 100f.
the amp does have a thermometer,
it does shut the AC down, even turned on if to cold outside. (AC compressor rules)
it may at other times but suzuki books are not all that good, ever. the AMP is very poorly documented, so use dmm see voltages on all pins for condenser fan relay. and then truth happens.
(07-31-2018, 09:20 PM)fixkick Wrote: hot wire that fan yet?
its just 12v fan,
if fan is dead, AC blow air cold driving fast, but not at stop signs, summer, 100f.
the amp does have a thermometer,
it does shut the AC down, even turned on if to cold outside. (AC compressor rules)
it may at other times but suzuki books are not all that good, ever. the AMP is very poorly documented, so use dmm see voltages on all pins for condenser fan relay. and then truth happens.

I have not hot wired it yet; although it had crossed my mind to do so...
I suppose maybe it's not hot enough for the AMP to kick it on, although I doubt this.
I have already tested voltage at the condenser fan relay. Red - 12v, Yellow - 12v, Blue/Red - 12v, Black/Blue - 0v.
The Blue/Red should be ~0v to switch relay and turn on fan correct?
ive no idea what fails. what AC issues are there, you skipped that , i think.
"AC system kicks on and runs great blowing cold air."

or is the only symptom , just a fan issue., nothing else???
no outdoor temps stated. (the world is huge pace, even canada, is N.America with 1000s of these cars, and even ALASKA, ive no clue where, not here in this text box.
in the manual , it has a parked in shop, performance test, with thermometer in the vent and all that.
then a chart.
and the charge shows. outdoor temp and humidity,
and vent outputs.
but all that is moot, what matters is the fan is on, now. all above moot.

oops this.
Red - 12v, Yellow - 12v, Blue/Red - 12v, Black/Blue - 0v.
red is good
yellow is good
blu/red = 12v fail relay work and sends power to fan but fan is dead, or wire to it bad or connector to it bad.
blk/blue = 0v good AMP tells relay turn on fan, good.

if that fails and the fan is dead, you now know why.
why not use the voltage meter on the relay, this simple tests puts you on path 1, fan bad, or AMP failed to turn it on?
or even relay bad, or fuse blown.
have meter? in your shoP> dmm?

it is just a relay,
a relay is current buffer, I could even replace it with a transistor.
the AMP is digital it sends weak signals(.3amps?) (0v) to the relay, the relay energizes (it does) and sends 15amps of power to the fan, 220 watts max in fact.
as you can see that might relay increased power by 50 fold. otherwise the fan would blow the amp to smithereens.

so the real problem was, weak AC parked, only.
ok.
here is the chart on my AC page, its from the 96 book
http://www.fixkick.com/AirCond/r134-1996-chart1w.jpg

this will fail with the car parked every time, fan dead.
pretty hard to beat that one page.
say 50% humidity in say FL, and 100f temps
max air is 67F at vent.
no surprise the temp out, is differential from input air temp, around a 30f drop (differential)
now you know why I asked outdoor temps so i can look here and say, 67.
also the engine fan is working and helps. so the air is not 100% stagnant parked.