Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Tracker strange electrical issue
You all are Rock Stars! After digesting these replies, I believe I will qualify for an Associates degree in auto electrical troubleshooting!

I had several ah-ha moments reading through here and my troubleshooting will be much more effective next time it acts up, and I'm pretty sure I can field repair it next time.

To answer a couple questions and ask a couple:

This is a 4wd, manual, with DRL, no A/C.

I will re-read these posts again, but is the consensus to go ahead and defeat the DRLs?

Also, not sure i understood the link to blower motor, but mine operates at high only (no blow in first two positions) and seems to be falling apart. Saw a post about a "wire tie" repair and will give that a shot, but not sure it will make my low and medium speeds work.

I will need to hunt down the battery ground at fire wall. I must have missed that one (it looked like it went to alternator, but the ground and positive are bundled, so i may have got on the wrong track.) I did find the ground to the starter and it is tight. May remove, clean, and reinstall just in case. Same with positive to fender fuse block and alterator.

My old Fluke is now permanently located in the glove box and I've added a long ground lead with clamp. As not to jinx myself, i've left my tow bar attached.

Armed with my new education, I will be focued on the main power paths and will look for voltage drops with headlights on.

Can't thank you guys enough and will keep you posted!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Tracker strange electrical issue - by samhoustonkurt - 08-01-2018, 12:30 AM