Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Tracker strange electrical issue
Don't know if this should be posted here or be submitted to "Unsolved Mysteries".

The battery tested perfect. Came home tonight and chased the two grounds from the battery cable (one to the starter, one to the alternator) and both were clean and tight. Resistance from the negative battery terminal to various places on the vehicle was always less than .5 ohms (some spots were zero.)

Reinstalled battery and buttoned everything up.

Everything works great. Lights light, radio comes on, "door open" beeper is deafening, radio plays, and it starts up and runs like a champ.

Checked codes and got none.

Now, it appears that I have a intermittent gremlin. My question becomes "what do I prepare myself for?"

I'm pretty sure it was not the battery or the battery connections. I'm not a mechanic, but I am an electrical engineer and I replaced the battery terminal when I replaced the battery a few months ago.

I don't think it was the main power relay because I had the failure before and after I replaced the relay.

By having the battery out for a day, I'm sure the ECM was good and reset; Could that be the issue?

I really appreciate the input gents. Should I be packing a spare ECM or a pocket full of relays?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Tracker strange electrical issue - by samhoustonkurt - 07-31-2018, 12:03 PM