Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Tracker strange electrical issue
welcome !!!!
fix headlights first ! the headlamps on cars are first trouble shoot, (the are not bad but are super simple , its directly wired. no magic, just wires, no computer. (HL >>> switch>>>>>battery ) < this is all it is? (yells battery dead)
sounds to me the main battery is bad.

batteries in cars can do ANYTHING. (good, bad , ugly, intermittent,a bad cell that is good one day then not the next., my wifes jeep just did that yesterday. $$$$)
you can test the battery many ways.
using A voltmeter, tops the list, got one , its $20 DMM tool at walmart.
the normal voltage at the battery , hood up is 12.5v. (summer voltages)
just last WEEK my wifes car died, HL weak. (voltage 10v) one cell in the battery went open , at that voltage.
I charged it and it went to 12.5v but in just minutes of usage failed again. (the cell is bad, 1 cell of 6) was tje cause. there is no fix here. new battery time.

the battery can be load tested, (another $20 tool) or drag battery to auto-store they do this for free.
or take battery from your car to another, see it's bad. ?
or take any battery from other car, try it in dead car, see battery works?
you can also use battery jumper cables to a running 2nd car (read the manual with cable first for safety) if this works the battery in your car
is bad, or only discharged due to phantom drains, type that word in the search box, at fixkick.com (phantom)
ok here
http://www.fixkick.com/drain/drain.html

down here batteries last 5 years. and then turn to texas toast.

the buzzing sound is all those vast things in the car that will not run on extreme low battery voltage.
no matter bad battery or bad wires or corroded battery terms.
the car radio can run on super low voltages,(varies by make and model) so is very poor test device, unless 100% dead. (if it plays is means little)

the starter solenoid chatters at 8vdc. below that it acts dead. one more clue in the list of symptoms.

when measuring the battery with a meter, use the 2 probes at actual post first, then if ok do the 2 lugs. (not center posts)
if the lugs fail (but hot posts) the lugs are corroded.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Tracker strange electrical issue - by fixkick - 07-30-2018, 08:47 PM