Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tuning new engine smells like gas
95 Tracker 4x4 1.6 16 valve reman motor. Smells like gas when I shut off. Rich? How do I fine tune it??
(06-05-2018, 07:10 AM)Eclipse46 Wrote: 95 Tracker 4x4 1.6 16 valve reman motor. Smells like gas when I shut off. Rich? How do I fine tune it??

hello and welcome.
you can not fine tune this ECU, the ECU injects fuel and is not tuneable, (EPA rules/laws)
The fuel mix is based on SENSORS, and driver demand (his/her right foot) and nothing else, (ok sure altitude)

it smells of fuel at tail pipe end you mean or has gasoline liquid leaks?
Ill guess, tail. stink even black smoke.
so that is rich.
rich has many causes.
step 1 is make sure the CEL glows key on, does it? it must.
and turns off running. check engine lamp
if the lamp glows running that means it has stored or live, error codes, called DTC, diagnostic trouble codes
does it? if yes we get them next.
with a jumper clip.
http://www.fixkick.com
smells like gas at the front of the car. no black smoke. maybe I'm just anal. what does the adjstment (Phillips screw) at the back do?

hello and welcome.
you can not fine tune this ECU, the ECU injects fuel and is not tuneable, (EPA rules/laws)
The fuel mix is based on SENSORS, and driver demand (his/her right foot) and nothing else, (ok sure altitude)

it smells of fuel at tail pipe end you mean or has gasoline liquid leaks?
Ill guess, tail. stink even black smoke.
so that is rich.
rich has many causes.
step 1 is make sure the CEL glows key on, does it? it must.
and turns off running. check engine lamp
if the lamp glows running that means it has stored or live, error codes, called DTC, diagnostic trouble codes
does it? if yes we get them next.
with a jumper clip.
[/quote]
smells like gas at the front of the car. no black smoke. maybe I'm just anal. what does the adjustment (Phillips screw) at the back do?

this confuses me, totally? the front if the engine has no fumes of any kind what so ever,
if it does that is called a gas leak,
but it can raw fuel stink at the air cleaner if he car back fires to the air cleaner box. sure. did it backfire? i presume not at most folks would be upset if it did that... bam load bam or load POP under hood is backfire.
I can not smell what you smell, here.

that Adjustment you list has no effect at all on Air fuel mixtures at all, AFR, air fuel ratio,
It in fact set the ISC idle duty cycle, if you play with that screw you risk causing the ISC to go nuts, why risk that, or have to set IDLE duty lacking the special meters to do so and long tedious steps. why that.
if the car idles hot at 800 rpm (again the ECu does that never the owner of car, ) this shows the ISC is working OK so leave the AIR BLEED duty cycle screw alone on the top rear of the throttle body. TB

same goes for the idle stop screw front left,Bottom OF TB and 10x worse , it is a NO TOUCH screw for the life of the car.
the same holds true for the ISC 5mm hex allen key screw, same as above do not mess with that ever.
this is not a carburetor car, forget them they ended in 1988 here. and EFI is not a carb, not by a mile, 100% different technology. EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection system (digital)

if you smell gasoline under the hood that is called a gas leak.
injector seals leaking?
or fuel lines leaking?
or the FPR leaks, remove the vacuum nipple hose off the FPR valve. does that leak gas, yes, then the FPR IS BAD, as most are this old .
best is to let car idle , park, (or 5sp neutral, hand brake set, )
then look for leaks. look find them, there is one there.
just look, its under 30psi fuel pressure there, so any leaks are super obvious.
but not the FPR, the leak goes to the plenum and stinks there.

forget all I said on black smoke and tail pipe, I had no idea you are in front of car, sorry.

in my web page in search box type FPR
smelling gas fumes is not anal at all.
it's wise and prudent.
think on that a bit
if a leak is there, ever seen a leak of anything not get worse in TIME.?
like the toilet or sink> or water hose.
same here, but its gasoline not safe water.

never drive a car that stinks of raw fuel.
or it can be a very bad ending. even loss of the whole car.
same with brake fluid leaks. , no fire but car crashes.
Fix Kick is dead on. If you smell raw fuel, it's likely that you have a leak somewhere.
All you need is a good sunny day and the fuel vaporizes. Then ask for the starter, or after you
start you have the ignition and alternator running. If you are not lucky, you get a fire.
there are 2 smells
1: is raw fuel, open the gas cap, smell that fume ,bingo raw fuel. this is a fix first thing, or fires happen easy. too easy, static spark, heat or smokers boom.
2: black smoke, black is very very rich fuel mixtures , from the end of the tail pipe sure, or from the cracked exhaust manifold. is it? we look at #4 exh, tube runner on 16v engine, for the crack there. suzuki's LOVE to go rich, and make black smoke(means incomplete fuel burn) we can talk that issue all day, but does. limphome mode tops list.
3: the engine can backfire 2 ways both make fumes, one to tail pipe end or any cracks in the exhuast system end to end, caused by @2 and can back fire to the air cleaner, caugh, or pops.
that should cover stinks. (fuel like)

ever start an old lawn mower, and saw black smoke, sniff sniff that is way to rich burning fuel. black and rich burn. smelled. and seen.