Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no fuel pump noise 98 Tracker
Don't use compression fittings. They are likely to leak. You can also get a hose made up by a hydraulics shop. That, along with a new pump
will do the trick without having to buy special tools.
(10-09-2017, 10:25 PM)fetcher Wrote: Don't use compression fittings. They are likely to leak. You can also get a hose made up by a hydraulics shop. That, along with a new pump
will do the trick without having to buy special tools.

Hi, ( i was away for a few days) Yes good ideas-I read them all- I'll look around for a shop-to see what they can do. Another thought I was pondering & probably wind up doing is to leave the hose connected to the pump & hanger since its a solid connection with no leaks and just switch out with a new pump and inside tank pump hose & filter . The hanger looks brand new- Tank inside is clean --meanwhile I'm restoring the old gas filter bracket - it has seen better days--finally got that off-going to reinforce it and put it back.
Thx fetcher for your inputIdea
98TrackerMan Smile
(10-08-2017, 08:26 AM)fetcher Wrote: To save the parts for re use I think you would need to at least partially drop the tank to remove the fuel pump. Remove all fuel and then use torch
to expand the fitting. You can try, but old tubes can crack when you try to re flare them so have another plan ready after the original is destroyed.
Another way is to destroy the female pump fitting and braze a new piece of tubing on to the pump outlet tube. bend and flare to O.E. shape with new female fitting. Another way is to get a new fuel pump and fabricate a fuel supply around an available fuel supply flex tube (one that was made for a different application).

Hi All, Smile 11-1-2017 update ...finally
So I wound up switching in new pump on original hanger and left original old fuel line from pump to filter intact. Here's something? When I did continuity test after switching out old pump-still nothing. nothing getting to the pump. Thinking-I dremeled/ drilled out carefully the outside top nodule of hanger "plus side" til I cleared out to the connector going directly into hanger. The negative side was OK--The Plus side metal connector had a hair line crack in it. Used my Dollar Store 350 magnifying glasses to see it. When I moved the wire-continuity was good and going to inside at hanger pump connections. Got the old soldering gun out and soldered the separated connector together. covered it up with some epoxy putty let it cure good and reinforced the wires from vibrations. Continuity all the way to the pump now. Installed pump in tank- with new filter, & fresh gas. Connected the Battery. Heard that little buzz and She stared right up. No Leaks!( tested old pump in some non flammable thinner & it was still good, just that sealed up connector in nodule was bad .now its a spare pump) New is New and time anyway for replacement. 98K- Gave myself an "AttaBoy" for a good job on the first try. Guess I'll keep Tracker a little longer. Back on the Road again til next time.
Thanks again All.-- 98TrackerMan- Smile
How were you able to separate the hose from the old filter?
they sell new racks at rockauto.com
i do hope that epoxy likes gas, benzene is a super powerful plastic wrecker, so is ethanol.
this is the first post I think of any car breaking the top wire bond, inside the tank rack.
super rare, my guess there is story to tell, maybe last guy had the pump all off and dangle there and wreck that.
spectra premium makes it, (the trick is matching DOOR counts, and tank GALLON size) best way to do that is read the SPECTRA onoline catalog on their page

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/geo,1...nger,18136
http://www.fixkick.com
(11-08-2017, 10:15 PM)fixkick Wrote: they sell new racks at rockauto.com
i do hope that epoxy likes gas, benzene is a super powerful plastic wrecker, so is ethanol.
this is the first post I think of any car breaking the top wire bond, inside the tank rack.
super rare, my guess there is story to tell, maybe last guy had the pump all off and dangle there and wreck that.
spectra premium makes it, (the trick is matching DOOR counts, and tank GALLON size) best way to do that is read the SPECTRA onoline catalog on their page

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/geo,1...nger,18136

Hi All- didn't forget you guys-- Lent my camera out so just got it back wih pictures. To answer and clear up things.. I Have a spare ride –so had plenty of time to play around to get old hose off filter- every so often just kept soaking with acetone mixed with tranny fluid , spray rust buster and gently tapping- mini wire brushing it too.-.—used 2Wrenches- on each side of filter -outside one with extension longer for leverage and eventually bolt turned- both sides came off clean. Left the original fuel out hose connected to original pump hanger. I had already bought a new Complete pump with hanger from Rockauto- preparing for just out with the old and in with the new, but the fitting going to the original pump was not coming off.-no matter what I did. So I took the brand new pump off the new hanger and put it on the old hanger ,which was still like new and clean; leaving the original fuel hose intact &connected to old pump hanger. All I had to do was reinforce the old filter holder. Tank was clean inside.. This was the original pump-I bought this Tracker new. Epoxy won’t get affected because epoxy and the connector break was not inside the tank-but the outside top nodule.See picture of top outside of pump and fuel filter.- picture explains where break was encased in positive side nodule., now sealed with epoxy.Posted some pics,hope they are clear. and finished product is cleaner than in pictures She is still running OK         Regards 98TrackerMan
Nice banjo washers.
Here's how I mounted the filter

Yes, I am impatient, should have given time for the paint to harden before
I put it all back together.
the rust is a killer there
had to machine by hand one banjo I had, in place.
to get the copper washers to seal up.
not fun, but took time and it worked, out.

if the banjo faces are pitted, doom it is. file it or mill it by hand with a file , or some knife stones.
http://www.fixkick.com