Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03-72LE Transmission Troubleshooting
Yes, it is tube labeled 28 (forward clutch). I could not get my weld to stick, don't have actual TIG (yet). I took the valve body out and got a closer look at the opening. Looking at it, I just don't really see signs of damage. Really, it looks like it was made this way -- hence my confusion.

Oil pan in good condition (could have been replaced). The torque converter has "1995 Suzuki Sidekick" written on in with some kind of marker so I am pretty sure that the transmission has been removed before I owned it. It was not in running condition when I bought it so I have never done any testing like the manual shift test. When I tested this transmission was the first time I have started the car (my engine rebuild seems to be running good). Reverse worked, but no forward anything so I know the torque converter, oil pump, manual shift valve, and solenoid valves are working.

When I was putting it back together I did all the air pressure tests except for the forward clutch. I skipped that because I could not blow air in the specified hole (the one in question). All others were good. I thought it was strange, but it is my first transmission rebuild so I just thought "that is weird" and stuck the tube in the rectangular opening. I see on my video review that I had some trouble with that same tube when I was trying to get the oil pan back on.

Right now I put J-B weld on it. Completely covered the rectangular opening. When it is done curing today I will see if I can drill a round hole for the tube to fit. I have another transmission, but it is on my parts car outside buried in the snow. It is too close to spring to dig it out. Better just wait a month for the snow to melt if I decide to pull that one out.
1995 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4WD 4-door hardtop, G16 1.6L 16 valve L4 SOHC, 4-spd Auto Trans (Asin AW Model 03-72 LE), Non-ABS, Assembled in Ingersoil, Ontario. Currently in Tok, AK.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 03-72LE Transmission Troubleshooting - by Nunapitchuk - 04-03-2018, 11:06 PM