Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 sidekick misfire when cold or when under electrical load
Update: First let me say thank you for all your help.

I do have new ngk wires and plugs with Bosch cap. I tested voltage at battery and got 12.3 with car off and 14.6 with car running. I turned on fan and lights and dropped to 14.3. I checked spark with an extra plug and it looks strong.

I tested map and got 1.2 at idle and it jumped to 3.2 on increased throttle. However if I held wot, then it dropped back to 1.2. Is that normal?

Iac and ect are both new and resistance is testing good.

Misfire only happens when idling cold 1500 rpm down to 800. Once it reaches 800 the misfire stops. I can make the misfire return if I turn on lights/fan which increase idle to 950.

Car runs good down the road under all conditions, freeway, city, off road, up hills etc. Of course my mpg is still low 20mpg. Sometimes 17-18.

I am close to just living with it the way it is. I may test fuel pressure again and have the injector cleaned. I'll also check to see if there is a service center with a scope to test injection rates.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1989 sidekick misfire when cold or when under electrical load - by Jamestb - 03-21-2018, 06:08 AM