Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parasitic drain and no radio, not sure where to turn.
Hello, thanks for taking the time to respond. It is a 1998 base model tracker. No options whatsoever. It does have DRLs but the speedo is in miles so I think it’s a USA car. No abs brakes. It has been in an accident before. And it’s had more than one owner over the last 20 years so wiring probably does have some hacks. Nothing overly noticeable though.

One day the radio stopped working. I pulled it and there is no power going to the radio at all. I check the radio fuse and it’s good, try a new fuse for good measure and still no radio. This is the same time the drain started killing the battery in about 24 hours. Before this it would last weeks. I tried to the test light method to track down the drain to the dome/tail fuse.

So right now the radio is removed from the vehicle, but it still drains when the dome/tail fuse is inserted.

Battery lasts 96 hours no problem with this fuse pulled.

You were right, the little fuse in my meter was gone. I replaced it and (.902) with the meter on “2m” is the measurements I got when I put the the dome tail fuse back in. I think this means 900ma? Or 0.9amps? Which is a massive drain correct? When I take the dome/tail fuse back out the drain is 0ma. Please note this measurement is taken with key out, all doors closed, dome light bulb removed and radio removed.

I also tried the trick where you sit in the garage in the dark and look for glowing. I found nothing at all, even finding the light switch was pretty damn hard in the pitch dark lol.

I hope this gives you a better picture.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parasitic drain and no radio, not sure where to turn. - by Perry - 01-23-2018, 08:34 AM