Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parasitic drain and no radio, not sure where to turn.
Hello,

All has been well with my tracker for the better part of a year, besides my NAPA brand distributor cap and rotor dying on me last week (heavy corrosion). Now that that is corrected I have a unrelated problem.

I use my tracker for some light snowclearing during the winter, I don't drive it on public roads at all. Because of this, I don't start and drive it for sometimes upwards of a week at a time. Ever since about 2 weeks ago my stereo is not working and every time I go to drive it the battery it flat dead, not even the door chime goes it's so dead. After even 24 hours it won't start, or will struggle to start.

I found this odd since the battery is less than a year old. So I checked it out and battery and charging system is working perfectly. Next I did the good old test lamp between the battery and ground test. It lit up good and bright with a fully charged battery.

I eventually tracked it down to the TAIL/DOME fuse. I tried to use my mastercraft multi-meter to get a measurement on the drain, but I can't get anything besides 0's. If I pull this fuse and leave it out, it will start right up after a cold 24 hours.

I also tested the wiring going to the stereo, I'm not getting any power on the battery wire. Funny enough the RADIO/CIGAR fuse is good (reading 1 ohm), I even tried a new one to be safe.

Is there something common I can check that will stop my radio from getting power with a good fuse, and drain the battery overnight? I can't find anything from searching and I'm hoping I don't have to go through wiring as it's not my strong suit.

Messages In This Thread
Parasitic drain and no radio, not sure where to turn. - by Perry - 01-19-2018, 03:07 AM