Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outside temperature thermometer
I bought cheap Chinese digital thermometer.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V-2...0.0.2G4iP3

I wonder what's the best possible way to install it on Suzuki Vitara 1.6 16V softop, 2D, in order to display outside temperature correctly?

Thanks.
wow no year car and guess what ?,year means wire colors !!! used (was not standardize until later years)
best in what way ?, best has vast , meanings to vastly, different folks
ill guess, safe = best. (not looks or works or ??)
safely:
use a fuse do not install anything lacking an added fuse.
best way electrically would be
1: not cut factory wires ever, why do harm? (so pick radio)
2: the only questions is where to get power, to it, one way is a ugly cigarette lighter adapter, nah....
2b: Id use the radio wires after all that wont do damage, to EFI critical circuits (this year)
2c: the radio has 3 power wires, 1 is good, the bad is lamp dimmer wire the other 2 are main power, and battery memory power wires, the mem wire is hot all the time and no good.
the radio, main power is called Ignition on or ACCessories,
I wire to this wire, with my inline 1amp fuse to your red wire.
the black wire is grounded to suzuki body ground lugs (any)

if you had new aftermarket radio, and with that nice adapter kits that to that, then you'd have all the information you need to wire to the radio side,
wild guess on year, by me ! (tossed dice)
1996, (white/back is it)

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: White/Gray
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: White/Black put an inline fuse to here 1amp fuse,
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A (parking lamps)
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Red/Yellow (dash dimmer lights) super bad way.
cut paste partly.
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks allot. Sorry for year, I forgot. Vitara is 1995. Car radio is after market and I will probably connect thermometer on it's wires. Still stays question, how and where to put temperature sensor? How to pull through sensor from cabin to outside?
where to put a sensor, is up to you, what that you want to measure? (ambient air?)
look at new cars see where they put it, ? you'd be amazed at where and why.? and how complex this is (locations are)
lets say you want measure ambient air (out door air) but wait, the car hits 180f temps, easy inside, and even near engine or RAD, or in front top cowling, it gets hot inside any steel box in the sun, and then takes long driving to cool it before that probe reads true ambient air, if EVER.
so how did jeep do that?, answer its in the drivers side mirror. casing , even may have a vent there, to purge hot air fast.
if it gets wet, its not reading ambient air or reads cold wet wind chill factor air, why not just use your cell phone and click on weather underground see temps.?
https://www.wunderground.com/

there is no lack of information there and by GPS location
we have 2 jeeps both with this factory options , not once have we looked at it, (information overload here)

they sell I think a temperature pod to hold this device just for cars, RV boats etc, looks like CELL antenna for cars. just a wand. (drilled to body panels, ouch)
google finds them i think

wires A to B
sure, the car has thing called a firewall, that keeps the burning fuel off passengers. and is part of crush zone for crashing, etc.
on that wall , are rubber grommets. (all cars)
some maybe unused (options) ,some even large, with extra space there to cut a tiny hole for wires in the rubber parts, that is how I do it, not needing to drill holes in the body metal
on the engine side, is best easy way to inventory grommets on the fire wall.
i have an ice pick, i use it to punch a hole in that rubber then ram wires in that hole and it seals up 100% after, tight.

if I had it id use it for accurate coolant water temps, as the stock one stinks in this regard. (to see say a thermostat that is aging and beginning to fail as all do. about 5 to 7 years old.

cheers
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks for this elaboration. I felt need for temperature sensor because of road conditions here in winter (Temperatures bellow -10 Celsius and ice etc.) I had similar thinking about proper place for ambient, out door temperature. Passenger cabin, engine compartment, trunk etc. were out of question because of different air temperature than outside. Placing sensor into driver mirror is far better option but I didn't find way to do it. So, I found this tiny little hole in front left wing panel, just behind mirror. I test it with cabin heated, without sun direct radiation and engine hot - sensor T remains the same. So it works.