Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1994 suzuki sidekick 16v wont start
Well this is all what happened. 2 and a half years ago I replaced my flasher and the fi relay. At the time the relay was making noise.

A year and a half ago I parked the sidekick and went to California for 3 months.

After I got back I couldn't start it so I changed the fuel filter thinking it's been a long time since I replaced it. It still wouldn't start. So started checking for codes and wasn't able to pull any.

I started reading and thought I'd pull the ecu as it didn't seem like it was wanting to run and had knew the ecu was never replaced and suspected bad caps. After looking at the board there was nothing that looked bad and the ecu looked clean as can be.

So I reinstalled the ecu and started troubleshooting the no spark. Ordered the plugs wires cap rotor and replaced them all and found no change. Checked spark at coil and no go

So next thing was igniter. And still no spark. After more reading it occured to me I had read about a relay for the ecu. Replaced the relay and I was able to pull codes which gave me the 41.

I had pretty much replaced everything except distributor or coil.

Pulled coil and was not able to get any reading so ordered a new coil.

Replaced coil and code 41 went away. Gad good solid spark but still wouldn't start.

After sitting thinking I remembered fi and ecu were the same relay so swapped them.

The when turned the key on one of the relays started buzzing and the check engine like stopped flashing.

So swapped back got code 12 again. Went and picked up a new fi relay and it fired right up.

I knew I replaced the relay a couple years ago so I had also checked the grounds before getting a new relay. So I had several problems that snowballed at one time.

Like I said before I have treated this kick like a red headed stepchild and haven't done anything to or for it other then change the oil and give it gas. So it was just time to put some work into it.

Now I have the timing belt seals waterpumo and all hoses ordered and will pull the kick into the garage for a major tuneup and fresh fluids all around. Maybe it will treat me well for another several years.

Again thank you for your help.

Messages In This Thread
1994 suzuki sidekick 16v wont start - by pen25 - 12-18-2017, 01:48 PM
RE: 1994 suzuki sidekick 16v wont start - by pen25 - 01-23-2018, 08:54 PM