Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie questions 91 tracker
Have 91 4wd tracker with 86,000 one owner miles, AT, soft top, no rust and runs great. Need guidance on the following;
1. Needs tires, would like to upgrade to black 16 inch wheels and go to General AT or similar 215-65-16 or wider. How far can I go and keep stock suspension and what wheel offset should I get w 16 inch rims? Sources?? Am thinking 7 inch wide rims? Will not be extreme off roaded

2. Brake light is on. It's not the handle switch or the switch at the master cylinder so I am thinking RWAL system? But the diagnostic connector seems to have a different pin configuration than the 91 service book shows so not sure how to read codes?

3.I plan to "restore" it. New paint, hard top, wheels etc. Maybe nicer seats. Suggestions on that?
Thanks to all who reply.
hello and WELCOME.
I had the 91 5sp,4wd,
one of the most complex questions of all. tires, traction,turning, braking , and offroad use, (endless that last one, mud,sand, rock, endless for sure)
why not go to a tire store and ask. that. find a shop that does 4wd... most generic shops will now even discuss it (insurance rules and lawyers)
there is no tire that works on roads and offroads well.. I'd use LT tires.(max )

the rims are dictated but the folks that make tires, rim width, so it dont pop a rim easy if deflated, super complex topic this. and dangerous done wrong.
so pick tires first. rims last and offsets are even more complex and change front end geometer, with bad effects.

2: RWAL is covered on my RWAL page see that? http://www.fixkick.com/BrakeLamp.html
the lamp is 4 way not 3, (brake pressure balance F/R failure, level fluid fail, hand switch fail, and RWAL failure) 4 ways. (un plugging each tells you which is the cause)
the heavier tires increase unsprung weight, and then shock tune , is needed to address tire bounce.
the tires must not hit on a bouch , hitting any body or frame parts, or is dangerous to drive it.
some buy big tires to look cool
others do it only for serious offroad performance,... (there is no both ways tries, made, even track racers change tires when it rains, )
others want traction on ICE. there no 1 tires does all that. .(sticky class tires on ice wear out fast too on hot roads.)
Id use LT tire sizes no bigger.

(10-05-2017, 04:05 AM)Zstarch Wrote: Have 91 4wd tracker with 86,000 one owner miles, AT, soft top, no rust and runs great. Need guidance on the following;
1. Needs tires, would like to upgrade to black 16 inch wheels and go to General AT or similar 215-65-16 or wider. How far can I go and keep stock suspension and what wheel offset should I get w 16 inch rims? Sources?? Am thinking 7 inch wide rims? Will not be extreme off roaded

2. Brake light is on. It's not the handle switch or the switch at the master cylinder so I am thinking RWAL system? But the diagnostic connector seems to have a different pin configuration than the 91 service book shows so not sure how to read codes?
must not be a real service book but a hanyes or chiltion rag..?

3.I plan to "restore" it. New paint, hard top, wheels etc. Maybe nicer seats. Suggestions on that?
Thanks to all who reply.
http://www.fixkick.com
I decided to replace the rims with 16 inch x 7 inch mags and go to 215x65x16 Grabbers. They say 0 offset is OK.The lower profile gives me almost the same diameter as stock so no speedo error. Not planning heavy off road use.
Tracked the brake light problem to the rear RWAL sensor is open so have new one coming. Hope no more codes after that.

Getting new paint job and then new two piece sport top. Had transmission serviced, new thermostat (my temperature guage still reads very low), maybe sensor?
I have a small oil leak which I was told is probably the rear seal. Can that be fixed without pulling the engine? Hope so. The "restoration" goes on.

(10-05-2017, 04:46 AM)fixkick Wrote: hello and WELCOME.
I had the 91 5sp,4wd,
one of the most complex questions of all. tires, traction,turning, braking , and offroad use, (endless that last one, mud,sand, rock, endless for sure)
why not go to a tire store and ask. that. find a shop that does 4wd... most generic shops will now even discuss it (insurance rules and lawyers)
there is no tire that works on roads and offroads well.. I'd use LT tires.(max )

the rims are dictated but the folks that make tires, rim width, so it dont pop a rim easy if deflated, super complex topic this. and dangerous done wrong.
so pick tires first. rims last and offsets are even more complex and change front end geometer, with bad effects.

2: RWAL is covered on my RWAL page see that? http://www.fixkick.com/BrakeLamp.html
the lamp is 4 way not 3, (brake pressure balance F/R failure, level fluid fail, hand switch fail, and RWAL failure) 4 ways. (un plugging each tells you which is the cause)
the heavier tires increase unsprung weight, and then shock tune , is needed to address tire bounce.
the tires must not hit on a bouch , hitting any body or frame parts, or is dangerous to drive it.
some buy big tires to look cool
others do it only for serious offroad performance,... (there is no both ways tries, made, even track racers change tires when it rains, )
others want traction on ICE. there no 1 tires does all that. .(sticky class tires on ice wear out fast too on hot roads.)
Id use LT tire sizes no bigger.

(10-05-2017, 04:05 AM)Zstarch Wrote: Have 91 4wd tracker with 86,000 one owner miles, AT, soft top, no rust and runs great. Need guidance on the following;

Thanks to all who reply.

the one wire sender temperature is bad.
or wrong thermostat, 180f,192 ,195f are normal , never below.

no, the rear seal is not leaking, i bet.
the distributor shaft has o-rings bad, on all ive seen,
it leaks down the bell, then in the to ground, on 5speed, is it ? it has bell vent that lets engine oil drip there and fools everyone.
we have vasts posts of folks blaming the oil seal engine rear, then they pull the trans, and bell and clutch and flywheel , put a new one it
and bingo, its not that.
what a travesty to read that over and over.

there are 2 rings to leak, distrib shaft and housing base ring.
both do. they get hard then flat and die. all do.
my upgrade to Viton ends that.

Have 91 4wd tracker with 86,000 one owner miles, AT, soft top, no rust and runs great. Need guidance on the following;

http://fixkick.com/buy-parts.html#Dizzy-rings

here is the seal on crank.
just replaced by me. mine did not leak but was there, so.... in she went and upgraded to viton too., note color

http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/clutch/engine-rear1.jpg

here is the secret vent slot that eats distributor oil all day long. like vacuum.

see the red arrow?
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/clutch/bell1.jpg

good luck !

to prove this is easy
clean rear of head and bell top
drive, now look at back of head and top bell, see the flood? yup.
http://www.fixkick.com