Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Code 23 questions
you said you swapped, ecu]
so you didnt keep records of old and new, tag partnumbers.
oops.
in a smog state all this fails. hard. 10x that is limphome mode activates, the IM240 rolling smog tests will fail hard. and the CAT burns up.
all do that. in LIMP.
http://www.fixkick.com
see post 6 it has my ECU number at the end
Current ECU that was original to car aside from a rebuild date of 2002 on sticker: 33920-58B30
No California Marks on hood. I have the little nag switch so I don't think its Californian.

ECU that came off of the Tracker that was a 95': 33920-70ECO This is the current Engine in my 93' Suzuki Sidekick 4 door 4x4 that came out of the 95' 2 door 4x4 tracker.

You are saying that the 95' tracker engine with the EGR Probe is Californian or maybe my harness under the hood is Californian because it has the plug for the EGR probe?

So far the engine is running pretty good with the EGR wire unplugged and the CEL is remaining off. Still throwing code 53 after I reset everything a couple of times if I plug the EGR are back up. I have read that you recommend leaving EGR so I would like to trick the ECU with current EGR I have or If I can leave unplugged and thats all I need to do?
no,sorry, what happened in time is this
calif made the 8v illegal (but not the FED)
then calif made the IAT mandatory
then calif made EGRT mandatory. (fed uses vacuum tests for egr test)
then suz made the cal and fed car all in one in 1995. due to calf rules are ok with fed rules.. see? so MERGED. 1995 car is dual certified and unified, (first sidekick ever to do that)
that is what happened the pdf I have marked up well and if you look there, you see the sequential changes..

code 53 means the EGRT wire fell off, and now the EGR test is dead, dead as a door nail. it cant do the egr test at all , because the sensor is missing now.
see?

all changes done to CALIF car were adopted to fed, slowly. (California ARB (air resource board) is far more strick so that is why fed excepted it finally)
that includes the exh man. long and short. egr, IAT, all this is in the suzuki parts lists, there is even a book on it. rare.
smog stuff is strange.
the other horror is the 4 port intake EGR ports, on that changed too. to the mono port, the quad egr port is horror thing to clean.. wasted weekend long.
in 1996 it all changed again. then 96 has EGR MAP now
so get this, first its vacuum egr sensor, main, the EGRt then back to EGR map dedicated, wow, sounds crazy and is.
That is because in 1996 there are 2 EGR test. now, and can not be fooled easy like the EGRT hack.
lots and lofts of egr changes until 1999 and electric motor egr,
i do not now what you need to do ever.
1: if no smog test, you can do whatever you want.
2: if the code 53s dont set up limphome mode. its ok.
3: the EGR stops ping and lets the exhausts valve run lots cooler, cept at WOT.
4: the egr test is not needed if #2 is not happening,

The only problem here is using wrong parts, for a car, wrong EGR, wrong eCU, etc.
some folks just drive it at 15mpg, in limphome, , i know some do... endless, and rod out the cat when it melts
some suzuki may go to limphome with EGR defeated, it be the CALIF car if true, proving this is not easy, takes a real scan tool to see that happen. that nobody has.
We know the Canadian ECU does not punish EGR failures.
if the mpg is ok, and power, run it. drive it like you stole it (SORRY)