Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998?
(06-15-2017, 01:22 PM)Borntobewild Wrote:
(06-15-2017, 11:48 AM)fixkick Wrote: buy a 96-98 hub,
it will fit.
if car is stock it fits.
the GM does not sell them now, in fact , they only list Chevrolet trackers now, 98 or newer, the word GEO is but a dream to them it seems. now.

Okay thanks.
I'm heading into Oregon tomorrow to buy the entire knuckle assembly off a 1997 Tracker, 4x4, without ABS.
I need the spindle also, not just the hub but I guess that is the same as the 1996 also?
For now if everything's right I just plan on bolting the knuckle on, (inserting the axle of course), swapping out caliper bracket, installing new pads, hopefully the rotor is in good shape or replace with a new one...and go from there.

Then replace both wheel bearings later to avoid this mess again.

The saga continues... Undecided
$60 dollars of gas the last couple days chasing the "ghost" part...Washington coast a couple days ago and half way to Mt. Hood, Oregon yesterday.
Drove all the way out to Orient Auto Sales yesterday to by the aforementioned 1997 hub/spindle/knuckle assembly and first thing I did was turn it upside down and there was the BUSHING!

What's going on here?
A 1996 model at the Washington coast mfg date 8/2017 with the "bushing and yesterday a 1997 with the "bushing"!!!
I'm starting to think I have a rare one of a kind.
Or perhaps just buy a bicycle and [part my '96 Geo out since the right spindle does not exist!

I believe I read on your bearing page you have a 1996 that you torqued to 155 pounds...
Did your 1996 have the needle bearing versus the bushing like mine has?
I haven't been able to find a bearing spindle yet!
Would that 1997 knuckle/hub/spindle I looked at yesterday and pictured below have worked on my car that had the "bearing type" spindle on it or would I have to change out the axle also? Huh
What is the difference between the spindle with bushing and the one like mine with the needle bearing (if that's the right terminology for the bearing)?
I cannot find a spindle without the bushing no matter what year I look at. Huh
It was a nice, stormy rainy day to be driving all around Orygon yesterday though chasing a ghost. Rolleyes

I've seriously had thoughts of scraping this one (part'ing it out) and loosing a lot of money...I can't fix it! Confused

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998? - by Borntobewild - 06-17-2017, 01:49 AM