Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998?
Update!

It appears that the 97 & 98 Geo hub & spindle are the same as the '96?
Well at least the ones that came off my '96 with the copper needle bearing in the spindle versus the bushing?
So that opened the doors drastically searching adding 97/98 to the search with proper criteria. Rolleyes
I found a 1997 Geo Tracker down in Oregon W.O. ABS and 4x4...think it even had manual locking hubs and it's the right front and the entire knuckle assembly for a great price!
So I'm going to make the long drive tomorrow and hope it is indeed the right parts and not a rust bucket...and if the bearing seems to be in good shape still...bring her on back and bolt it on and save bearing replacement for another day...in the not too distant future.
Now that I have the spanner socket for the wheel bearing lock...I'll pull both sides towards the end of the month or maybe on July 4th if it ain't rainin' and git err done.
I don't have a press...so I'll just take the hubs off and have them press new bearings & seals on them.
If you read this by 8 AM or so Pacific Time let me know your thoughts but sounds like the 1997 should have the bearing type spindle and the same hub and maybe the only difference is that other type bearing locknut which I could always swap out with the older "normal" torque locknut with the holes that my socket fits...if I read you right?
Appeared you weren't to fond of that #40 type locknut but liked the #36 type better and swapped them out?
Or was it the snap ring on the end of the axle...or both?

There is a place in Medford, Oregon that manufacturers what they call a "Sidekick Spindle Nut Spanner Socket" which I bought for the spendy #50 + shipping.
Very good quality however and you might have noticed in the first picture I uploaded with the two side by side hubs I have (1990 & 1996).
http://www.fixkick.com/bbs2/Suzuki-bbs/a...hp?aid=671

Here's their site and socket and they do have new & used parts there as well specializing in these toys.
http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page...&Itemid=53

Here's the pics I took of mine>

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1996 Geo Tracker Spindle & Hub same as 1998? - by Borntobewild - 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM